Wednesday, January 2, 2008

What A Friend We Have In Jesus

When you saw only one set of prints, it was then that I carried you!

I was just sitting here and re- thinking our New Year Eve's service and what a wonderful time we had. I began to think of all the wonderful testimonies from the different generations that we heard. When I heard the testimonies of the elders who had been serving God for many many years I thought just how wonderful God really is to have kept wonderful saints safe within His harbor through out all of this time the way He has.

Knowing life the way I do, I began to think, I know that they have faced heartaches, sorrows, disappointments, discouragements, sicknesses, loss of loved ones, and many battles with the devil where he has literally tried to destroy their soul. I know they have had to climb many mountains, cross many valleys and cross a lot of rivers that I am sure at times they just knew they were going to drown. Then there were times they had deserts they had to go through. Those where the worst. They were the times when their souls felt dry, dusty, and parched. They felt as though they were far from the living waters. They must have thought, where is God in all of this? But there was something within them that sustained them to hold on. To just keep putting one foot in front of the other and take one step at a time, one moment at a time, one hour at a time, and one day at a time. For they knew that their God would see them through just like He always did before. HE DID and they are still here today to tell the story of just how great God is! They are an encouragement to the younger generation today to say hey look at us, see what God did for us through the years? He is faithful! He is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother. (Pro. 18:24) He will never leave you nor forsake you. (Heb 13:5) What He did for us He will do for you if you will stay faithful and true to Him. Hang in there church for it will be worth it all.

I sit here this morning sipping my decaff coffee and slowly typing and continuously hitting this spell check key. Woo hoo, man at the mistakes I keep making, I feel like a first grader. But this too SHALL PASS!!! I am encouraged while I re-live this service and think of these wonderful pillars who are still with us today (my wonderful friend, Sis Wilson, who is like a mother to me but I am afraid she might one day, cause me to get called into the pastor's office for giggling in church. For I just know she is going to make me snort out loud yet) and the ones who have gone on to be with the LORD and it makes me smile. I think of all the battles they have gone through living for the LORD and this one thing I know, they have learned that the battle was not theirs but it was the LORD'S! If we can ever get that through our heads and learn to lean on Him, then we too, someday, shall be standing where these pillars are, saying "Look at me younger generation and see just what God can do. He was by my side at the starting line and He is still by my side after all these years and He will be by my side when I cross the finish line. What more could I ask for? Closely read the words to the following song. It is an old one but never were truer words sung.


WHAT A FRIEND WE HAVE IN JESUS

What a Friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.

Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged; take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness; take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden, cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge, take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do your friends despise, forsake you? Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In His arms He'll take and shield you; you will find a solace there.

Blessed Savior, Thou hast promised Thou wilt all our burdens bear
May we ever, Lord, be bringing all to Thee in earnest prayer.
Soon in glory bright unclouded there will be no need for prayer
Rapture, praise and endless worship will be our sweet portion there.

6 comments:

Jana Allard said...

I think this is one of my favorite songs. I know I can count on Him when others fail.

Rochelle said...

This song brings back so many memories... and yes, we both did speak of heavenly finish lines. Maybe God is whipsering something very similar to our hearts. Oh, I too have a friend like your Sister Wilson - making me giggle and nearly snort with laughter!

Jolene Harris said...

Sis Allard, I just don't understand how people can stand to face life without a friend like our Lord to help them with the troubles and trials that this ol' world brings their way. I am thankful I don't have to face them alone, that's for sure.

Jolene Harris said...

Rochelle, I thought of you when I wrote this post. When you cross this finish line it will be the Grand finale. Oh what a day that will be. You talk about a celebration. Just think about it, the Angels are on the sidelines cheering us on as we run this race.

Isn't it great to have a friend who can bring so much laughter to your heart (even if it is in church)?

Just a thought said...

Joleen:
He has been a friend to me in all the ups and downs of life. I have found Him in my dark time and when the sun is shinning brite.

Mervi

Jolene Harris said...

Hey Mervi, It is good to hear from you. He is indeed a good friend. I don't know what I would do without Him. He is the Best thing that ever happened to me.