Friday, February 20, 2009

How Do They Do It?


This coming Sunday will be three weeks that I have missed service. How do people survive without attending the House of God on a regular basis? My soul is literally starving for the PREACHED WORD of God! My girls have shared with me the messages that their pastor's preached and I have eaten it up as they talked.

My youngest daughter lives in another town, therefore attends a different church. When she would call or come to see me in the hospital she would share the church services with me, knowing how much I was missing church. My oldest daughter attends the same church I go to and she would come home or into the hospital room and say "Oh mom, pastor preached another awesome message." Then she would share it with me. I sit here and cry because it does my heart so good to see where my girls have come from and how far they have grown in the Lord.

As I would lay there and listen to them and watch them as they spoke about the message and see their eyes light up about the word they heard, it did my heart so good. My cup runneth over with joy to see them so in love with God and His Word. Just the way they spoke with such emotion about the message they heard makes me know they are really getting it deep in their hearts.

I went into the hospital on Feb. 3 for a simple gallbladder removal. The surgery went well. Two days later I began to have complications breathing. I went to the ER and was put on meds for 5 days and didn't get any better. I went back to the surgeon for my post op follow-up and he said everything concerning the surgery was great but my lungs sounded horrible so he admitted me to the hospital. I had bronchial pneumonia.

I spent a lovely 6 days in the hospital. The first 5 nights I had the room to myself so it wasn't to bad. The last night there I received a roommate. Was she ever a winner! She came in from dog bites. She was praying for her dog and trying to bless it and I guess the dog did not want to be blessed because it attacked her viciously and really did a number on her. She spent most of the night talking and yelling at people who were not even in the room. She literally carried on conversations with these so called individuals. Yep, I wanted out of there like quick. Then at one point she came over to me and proceeded to tell me that she was going to lay hands on me and bless me. This was right after she had had a fight with someone who was not even in the room. I politely told her "No thank you, I have already been prayed for and My God had heard those prayers. But God bless you anyway." She then began to tell me that she knew me and who I was. That she knew my eyes. I just said, "Oh really? That's nice" Yes, I was really glad the doctor let me go home because I didn't want to continue on in that room that's for sure. I could tell you more but it would probably make your toenails curl. I don't know if it was the meds by I.V. that finally made me well or if that lady literally scared the sickness out of me but I am finally home now and doing much better. LOL!!! No, really it was the Hand of God that came down and touched me and I am so thankful to finally be home and on the mend once again. I am sooooooo looking forward to Sunday when I can once again attend the House of God.

"Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name." Psalm 100:4

"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever." Psalm Psalm 23:6

"One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple." Psalm 27:4

"I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD." Psalm 122:1

8 comments:

Carol Connell said...

Jolene,

I'm sorry to hear of all this difficulty following your surgery. I know exactly how you feel about not being able to go to church. I hate to miss too. Perhaps this is how David felt too in Psalm 84:2.

Psa 84:2 My soul longeth,yea, even fainteth for the courts of the LORD: my heart and my flesh crieth out for the living God.

I pray that you will be abundantly blessed in service this Sunday. If everyone felt like you do about church, just think of the revival we would have!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Jolene,
Praying that strength comes to you with each day, and that His blessings fill your home and your heart. Enjoy and be blessed this Sunday.

Just a thought said...

Jolene:
So glad you are home and doing good. I am with you, how people feel OK when they have not been under the anointed preaching? I just don’t get it. We were raised different, I think!
Hospital room mates, man there are stories and then some REAL stories. The best is to try and sleep or at least play the hypocrite (?) and sleep.
Hope you are able to get back to church soon;
Mervi

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Sis Jolene,

I can relate about missing church. I haven't been able to go for mid-week because of my work. I hate it! I've been to church when I was in pain and couldn't fix my hair (a Sis came and washed in the bed for me), put my clothes on by myself, walk or even sit on the pew - got to be there! Went to church with fractured and displaced ribs after a fall in the tub.

Right, how do they do it?

I'm sorry you went thru so much in your body - He is still a Healer!!!

By now you had church... and I'm sure it was good!

Love you

Catherine

PS. Love the Scripture Carol choose.

Jolene Harris said...

Sis. Connell, What a beautiful scripture! Explains how I feel to the "T".

Sunday's service was absolutely ASWESOME! Just what I needed. I soaked it up like a dried out sponge. I couldn't care less what anyone else was doing. I was only concerned for what my soul was in need of and that was a desperate need of His touch and that is what I got. I feel soooooo refreshed.

Jolene Harris said...

Karen, Thank you for your continued prayers. I am daily growing stronger. God is sooooo good and His mercy endureth forever. He is my strength and my salvation and the joy of my soul. I do love Him so.

Jolene Harris said...

Hey Mervi, I'm sure you can relate with hospital roomies! LOL!!! Sometimes we can really get some big time winners can't we? Boy Howdy!!! Sure makes one appreciate the home front doesn't it?

Sunday service was absolutely spectacular. Just what I needed. I believe it was special ordered just for me. That's my story and I'm stickin to it. :-)

Jolene Harris said...

Catherine, Yes, you can relate can't you? But oh the refreshing once you are back into the presence of God. Nothing like it. I feel wonderful after Sunday's morning and evening services and Monday nights prayer meeting. My soul has been blessed. You are right, it WAS GOOD!!!