Thursday, February 21, 2013

Consider The Voice You Heed!

When I was in the 4th grade, my mother grounded me.  I can't remember what for but I do know she was very upset with me, therefore the reason for my being grounded.  Now, I find that odd for I know I was the perfect child.  Don't ask any of my three brothers or my sister if this is true because I'm sure they have a different opinion of my behavior as a child.  That's OK, they never could tolerate my perfection.....jealousy, you know.  Whatever it was that I was in trouble for, one of my cousins was involved, yet she didn't seem to be in trouble, well not in the degree like I was.  I remember her coming into my room and telling me how horrible my mom was for grounding me.  I agreed!  The more she talked, the madder I got at my mom.  Oh, my cousin knew how to stir up a hornet's nest.  She was good with words.  She had me convinced that I  had done absolutely nothing wrong and I was being so mistreated.  If she was me she would pack her bags and run away.  She would show my mom a thing or two. Why, she would even run away with me.  Before I knew it, I had packed a few things and I was sneaking out the back door and I was on my way to freedom.  Yes, I was heeding to the voice of my cousin and I was running away.  I was going to show my mom a thing or two.  I was going to teach her that she couldn't ground me and get away with it.  I was so excited.  That excitement didn't last very long.  We had only gone about three blocks when my steps became slower and heavier.   

The further I got away from home the colder I felt inside.  My mind was racing.  I began to think about all the good things about home and momma.  My warm bed at night.  Momma's good cooking and those three delicious meals and snacks I got every day.  My clean laundry that momma worked hard to keep done up for me.  Her comforting arms that were there for me when I was sick or scared.  Just knowing that she would be there to protect me. Then I just stopped dead in my tracks.  My cousin turned around, looked at me, and asked what was wrong.  I told her I had changed my mind and I wanted to go home.  She asked me if I was crazy and if I had lost my mind.  Funny, I had been asking myself the same questions.  I turned around and ran as fast as I could for home.  When I got there, I went straight to my room, put everything away, went and found momma, and hugged her as tight as I could.  I told her I loved her.  I don't think she knew what I had done, but I sure was glad to be home.  I was willing to take my correction for whatever it was I did wrong.  All I knew was,  I was home, momma loved me, I loved her, and she knew what was best for me.  In momma's house I was safe. 

You know if we are not careful, we will heed to the wrong voices and they will lead us astray.  Sometimes those voices will even come from within the family.  A family member who is disgruntled with the pastor, the pastor's wife, or other saints in the church.  Given the opportunity that family member (saint) in the church will look for another family member (saint) who is down and begin to weave contention with very subtle words.  They will begin to tell them how wrong they have been treated.  How horrible the person is that did this or said this.  They will sow cords of discord among the brethren and even go as far as suggesting  that the grass is greener on the other side.  That it would be better if they "Ran Away".  If one is not careful to the voice you heed, then that voice will drive you away from "The House of God!"  Away from the man of God who prays for you, fast for you, cares for you.  That voice will drive you away from the one who watches over your very soul.  The one who fights to protect you from all evil that comes against you, who feeds you spiritually.  It will drive you from the House where you feel the protection of the Gods arms around you.  Take heed and consider the voice that you listen to.  If it is driving you from the House of God then it is the wrong voice.  Stay in the house where you are loved.  Stay in the house where your pastor and God knows what is best for you.  Stay in the house where you will be safe.  Consider the voice you heed!          

1 comment:

Judy Hall said...

Oh how true, I've seen it happen lots of times!! Sad but true!