Saturday, March 8, 2008

No Time To Sit Back


I have heard comments before like, "I've done my part. Now let someone else do theirs." Then I have heard some say, "I have put a lot of blood sweat and tears into this place now let some of the new ones do their part." Others have said, "I'm getting old and tired. I can't do the things I used to do. It's time for me to sit back and relax." I wonder where we would all be today IF Jesus would have said "I did my part on Calvary. Now the rest is up to you." What a world of hurt we would be in.

I know that as time goes on and we get older some can not continue on doing some of the things they use to do physically. Their bodies begin to wear down. Maybe they can't go out and do visitation like they did when they were younger. Some can't clean the church like they did when they were spring chickens or help out doing yard work around the church because they just aren't physically able. But does that mean one just quits doing any and everything for the Lord? Do we just start sitting back and doing nothing because we are getting older? I say no! Now is not the time to stop working for the kingdom of God.

I am 54 years old and I have some physical problems. I may have been diagnosed with a brain tumor but that does not give me the option to sit back, feel sorry for myself, and do nothing for my God? NO!!! There are still souls to save. I may not be able to go door knocking like I use to but I can still witness to the cashier at the store, the waitress at the restaurant, my grandson's teacher, my doctors, and etc. I can still pray with those who are seeking God in the altar.

Maybe you can't get down physically with those praying in the altar but you can move in closer and pray earnestly and touch the throne of God for them. We can still be prayer warriors. We can still fast and pray for the needs of our brothers and sisters in the church and our pastor and his family. We can put a smile on our faces and greet visitors when they come into the house of God and make them feel welcome. We can worship and praise God during song service and bring down the Spirit of the Lord so that God can do a work in the souls of people that are in need.

We are to be an example to the younger generation. If we are just sitting back and showing no interest in the work of God, then they will soon have no interest in God's work as well. We need to instill a love and desire to do a work for God within our young people. The bible says, “Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it". (Prov 22:6) We have a responsibility here to the younger generation as saints of God whether we want to admit it or not. You might say, "but they're not my children." Well, I got to looking at the scripture and it does not say train up "YOUR" child but train up "A" child and all of the children in the house of God are our responsibility. We as a whole are to be an example unto them. They are watching us. How we conduct ourselves. How we worship, pray, and live our lives unto the Lord in and out of the House of God.

I have thought about the pillars of the church that have gone on to meet the Lord and oh how I miss them. Blessed Saints of God. Wonderful men and women who truly loved God and knew how to worship and really live for God. Who were faithful to Him. True prayer warriors. They were beautiful examples to me. They taught me by EXAMPLE how to truly live for God all the way to their last breath. For that, I will forever be grateful.

I can sit here now and close my eyes and I can see Papa Dude and Sis Bert. Such a beautiful couple. Though Sis Bert had a stroke and could not walk, that did not stop her praise. I see her now with tears streaming down her face with her hand in the air worshiping our God. I see Bro. and Sis. Anders. Such beautiful spirits they had. I spent many hours in their home as a teenager. They were so good to me. Such a Godly example to a girl raised in a sinner home. Brother and Sis Atchison were another example to me of what a Christian should be. Sis. Miller, What a wonderful woman she was. Standing firm in the word of God. She was faithful to the house of God. She taught me to never lose faith in God that He will always come through for you. Pastor Wilson, MY FRIEND! What can I say about Him but that I miss him so much. He taught me a lot of valuable lessons that I shall never forget. Bro I.H. Terry is another great example in my life. Never once did they just sit back and say, "Let someone else do the work for I've done enough." They kept on working for the Lord and being an example to me and the younger generation until their very last breath.

So my question is, Are you going to continue working for the Lord no matter what? The children and young people are watching US! What kind of example are we going to be? Are we teaching them how to REALLY worship and praise God? How to work in the altars? How to witness and win souls to the Lord? How to be a real Christian? How to be about our Father's business? How to be prayer warriors? How to reach out to a lost and hurting world? Are you willing to help Train up a child in the way that he should go? Or are you going to be one who is looking for an excuse to sit on the side lines and just kick it and say "I've done my part, now let someone else do the rest." Personally, I feel our work is never done until we either go by way of the grave or we are taken out of here by the rapture. Until either one of those moments happen I say press on. Our children need Godly examples to follow. We are now to become the pillars of the church for an example unto the youth of today.

14 comments:

Rochelle said...

What an inspirational post! And I agree, there is NO time to sit back and let others do the work. I think that is where a complaining spirit thrives!! I am always inspired at those older than I am who are still working the harvest because they truly love the Lord. And I know just as the inspire me, there are those younger than I am who watch me. There is not time to sit back. Excellent post!

Carol Connell said...

Man Jolene, I feel a shout coming on! Are you sure you're not called to preach? What you said is so true. There is always something we can do for the Lord, even when we do get older and are more limited physically.

Check out these verses in the Amplified Bible. Powerful!

Psa 92:12 The [uncompromisingly] righteous shall flourish like the palm tree [be long-lived, stately, upright, useful, and fruitful]; they shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon [majestic, stable, durable, and incorruptible].
Psa 92:13 Planted in the house of the Lord, they shall flourish in the courts of our God.
Psa 92:14 [Growing in grace] they shall still bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be full of sap [of spiritual vitality] and [rich in the] verdure [of trust, love, and contentment].
Psa 92:15 [They are living memorials] to show that the Lord is upright and faithful to His promises; He is my Rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him. [Rom. 9:14.]

I too am so thankful for elders that I have had in my life who were such a great example to me as a teenage new convert. I have many precious memories of my first pastor's mother, Arletta Hilderbrand, standing behind the pulpit reading a Scripture passage every Sunday morning, with her voice quavering and her eyes brimming with tears. She loved the Word of God so much. I can still hear Sister Eunice Chesser testifying of her love and appreciation for the Lord and how He had been faithful to her through the years. There are many others too numberous to mention, but those are the type of people that I want to be like. Thank you for this excellent post!

Love,

Sister Carol Connell

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful post--and especially appeals to me because I am now one of the older people.

I feel no less passion for the work of God today than I did in the beginning of my life. I'm ready to take a mountain or two...and I hear that so also are you.

Love,

Shirley Buxton
www.shirleybuxton.wordpress.com

Jolene Harris said...

Rochelle, I agree that those who sit back and do nothing are those who mainly have a complaining spirit. As the old saying goes: "An idle mind is the devil’s workshop." Get involved in the Lord’s work and busy yourself with meeting the needs of others and you will have no time to complain. You won't want to either because your heart will be overjoyed and content doing the work of the Lord. At least mine is.

Jolene Harris said...

Sis Connell, Thank you for such wonderful scriptures. WOW! They made me feel that becoming old in the Lord is something Grandeur, Magnificent, and Majestic. Powerful!

I especially liked this scripture: Psa 92:15 [They are living memorials] to show that the Lord is upright and faithful to His promises; YES,The longer I live for the Lord, the more I realize just how faithful He is to His promises.

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

This is beautiful Sister Jolene.
Our work is not done until He calls us home or takes us away.
I am still excited to go to church every time we have service. I want to do my part in every thing I can. I'm older too, and I am reminded of it by my body. Inside, still a spring chicken!
The world says "shop 'til you drop" - help me come up with something for us okay?
Yes, we are an example to the children. They don't miss a thing. They need to see us on fire.
Hope you are feeling better these day.
God bless you. Love you.

Jolene Harris said...

Sis Buxton, you are one of those that I look up to and inspires me. I can see you taking on a few mountains and mountain lions as well. There is a work to do and so much the more as we see the end of time approaching. Hey the devil isn't sitting back. He's working overtime. So should we.

Jolene Harris said...

Catherine, You are so right when you say our children don't miss a thing. They are watching our every move. That is why it is so important for us to set an example on how to worship in the House of God. If we don't worship then we are teaching them that it is of no importance to worship our God. If a baby will clap it's hands and lift them just from watching it's parents what does that tell you?

I am feeling better thank you. I will be getting my MRI results concerning the brain tumor on March 31st. Will keep you posted on the outcome of that.

Jana Allard said...

Jolene - another great post! I liked how you pointed out "A" child. We do have a responsibility to be good examples for the younger generation. AND, they ARE watching. Thanks for the walk down memory lane, too. I miss Bert and Dude, Coy and Melva, Paul and Anna, Sis. Miller, and, oh soooo much, my dad. I felt stronger every time I saw Bert swirling her one good arm in praise to God. Melva's prayers for her children ring in my head from the old-time ladies prayer meetings. Bro. Paul was so quietly faithful. He did so much for the church that many never even knew until he was gone and suddenly certain jobs weren't getting done. I felt the prayers of Sis. Miller many times. God woke her in the middle of the night to pray for me many times. One of those times was when we were in Africa. I believe she touched heaven for the situation Brian and I were in. Do you remember when Dessie used to twirl like a top? You know, these seniors have encouraged me so and I am sad they are gone, but we still have some of these precious pillars. I was so encouraged when Bro. Hillas stepped out the other night willing to admit he needed a touch. I got to thinking about that and I feel the Lord used him greatly. We look at Bro. Hillas and think, "He's such a saint," and I believe he is but when he was willing to step out, it gave others the courage to step out. I love our seniors so much and I think we have the classiest seniors of any church I have ever been to. They all act younger than they really are. Thanks again for this post. Just wonderful.

Jolene Harris said...

Sis. Allard, we do have some of the pillars still standing with us today, one of them being your mom. She is one of the best altar workers I have ever known. I also love to hear her pray. She knows how to get heavens attention. She is definitely an example and a FRIEND to me. Even if she does make me giggle and snort during service with her comical remarks.

I love those who have been an example to me. They paved the way for us and proved to me that no matter what I can make it through any storm that comes my way. I only hope and pray that I can in turn shine the light for those who are following after me and be that example for them.

Anonymous said...

You preach, Sista! I like your attitude! Last night in our care group, the lesson my husband taught was on "Making a difference". No matter how old we get, we can still make a difference in somebody's life and point them to Jesus! You are an inspiration to me! Love you!
Karen

Jolene Harris said...

Karen, Your husband is right. It is up to us to guide the next generation and pave the way for them and even the generation following them. We must continually shine our lights so that they can see the way and that God is faithful to the end. We must show them how one must live and work for God and the importance of True Worship or they will never fall in love with God and learn to be faithful to Him. We must pass on this Gospel Torch to the next Generation.

love you,
jolene

Just a thought said...

Jolene;
Once more I have missed your post. My prayer is that all is, at least normal, whatever that is, with you and your family.
Mervi

Jolene Harris said...

Mervi, things are pretty good at this time. Just trying to PATIENTLY wait for the 31st of March so I can hear what the results of my last MRI was. When I get those results I will be sure and pass them on to everyone else.