Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Caleb's 1st Bible Notes

This past Sunday night while Pastor Allard was preaching, Caleb was doing his usual picture drawing and scribbling in his notebook that he takes to church, nothing unusual. Then over half way through the message I noticed Sis. Paula sort of leaning over the pew making a comment to my daughter. My daughter was looking down at what my grandson was writing and Kerrie then, with excitement and almost in tears looked up at me and mouthed these words: "He is taking notes about what Pastor is preaching!" I could hardly wait until service was over to read what he had written. What Sis. Paula had said to my daughter was, "He really knows how to take notes doesn't he!" Well I guess he does unbeknown to us for this is what he wrote:


In case you are having trouble making out his spelling, this is what he has written:

like or don't like
one or the other
good or bad
care or not care
saved or not saved


The amazing thing is, Caleb got it right. Pastor said something about Acts 38 and I guess Caleb thought he said Acts 30:8 LOL!!! Pastor preached out of Rev. 3:14-20

That's right right Caleb, we are either going to be saved or not saved. We either like Jesus or we don't. It's one or the other. We are either good or bad. We either care about Jesus or we don't care about Him.

These are the verses that Pastor was expounding on when Caleb began to take notes: verses 15-16

" I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth."

Pastor was expounding on how God wants us to either be cold where He can gather us into His arms and warm us into loving Him again. He can revive, restore us when we are cold. When we are hot, we are on fire for Him. Yet, when we are lukewarm we have that I just don't care anymore attitude and when we get to that point, that is when God is unable to reach us. We don't respond to His touch anymore. We brush Him off when He reaches out to us. We just don't care if God even comes around. When He tries to embrace us with His Love, we reject Him and that is when He says I will spew you out of My mouth because thou art lukewarm.

It thrills my soul to know that even though Caleb is only 7, he does understand the Anointed Word of God that is coming across the pulpit. My prayer is that it will take root deep in his heart and grow strong. That he will become a mighty warrior for the cause of Christ.

Parents and grandparents, don't hesitate to take notes of what the preacher is preaching in church. This is another way to be an example to your children and grandchildren on how to listen to the preacher and to study the Word of God. This will also help them to hide God's Word in their heart that they might not sin against Him. When they run into a trial they can go back to their notes and say "What was it that Pastor or Bro. So and So said in their message about that?" And they can draw strength from their notes from those messages they have heard. They can go back to those scriptures they have written down and look them up again and re-read them and re-enforce the Word of God in their life.

Our children are watching every move we make. How are we teaching them to behave in the house of God? Are we teaching them to sit there with their arms folded and watch their watches and wish the pastor would hurry up so they can go home? Are we teaching them how to pass notes to one another, or write a list of things they need to do, or eat candy, or talk and carry on during the preaching? It is so important for us, as parents and grandparents to be the example we need to be to our children and young people not only in praise, worship, and prayer, but also on how to glean from the preached Word of God.

(Prov 22:6 KJV) Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

11 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

What joy as a grandparent seeing your grandchild find pleasure in the things of God, Jolene. I burst at the seams when my precious grandchildren move closer toward the Lord - and I am sure you do to.

Jolene Harris said...

Karen, I sure do! It just amazes me to see how much God has moved in Caleb's life this past year. He has done so many miracles for Caleb and brought him so far that sometimes it startles me when I see Caleb do things that the doctor said he would never accomplish. Then to see Caleb draw closer and closer to God like he is just overwhelms me with so much joy that yes, at times I do feel like I will burst at the seams like you say. We do serve such an AWESOME GOD!!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this post, Jolene, and I LOVE the photo of Caleb's notes. What a blessing to realize that Caleb already has some understanding of God's Word. As you point out, it IS so very important for parents and grandparents to be an example.

Love in Christ,
Janet

P.S. I usually take notes during the Pastor's message and during Sunday School too. I've done so for years. In fact, I don't go anywhere without my trusty little notebook and pen. I realized a long time ago in school that I wouldn't retain information or learn much of anything if I didn't!

I must say though, I've gotten a few strange looks throughout the years. Some seem to think of me as a little different, but that's o.k. They won't be the first, and they won't be the last!

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Precious!!!

Jana Allard said...

Oh my gracious!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!! Jolene, you better get a cute pic of him dressed up for church and frame it with these notes. This is just too precious! I know Caleb is a brilliant little guy and it makes me wonder what is really going through his mind. He might already be feeling the call to preach and doesn't even realize it. Now pass the Kleenex so I can blow my nose and wipe my tears.

Chandra said...

hehe! Go, Caleb!

Jolene Harris said...

Janet, indeed it is a blessing to realize that he is already understanding the Word of God at such a young age. Just makes me want to instill that much more into his heart and mind so that it will get rooted deep in his heart with a love and hunger for God.

Jolene Harris said...

Catherine, I agree, it is precious! :)

Jolene Harris said...

Sis. Allard, I did try to get his picture and he told me to get the camera out of his face. He absolutely hates the flashes. Tabitha took his picture I believe it was the same night he took the notes as he was sitting on the pew with his legs crossed and his head in his hands during altar service and did he ever give her a look. He did not like it one bit. LOL!!!

Jolene Harris said...

Chandra---You are Caleb's own private cheerleader!!! Love you!

Carol Connell said...

That is so awesome that Caleb was taking notes on the preaching! I love those moments when God let's us see that something is getting into the spirits of our children/grandchildren. I think it would be neat to frame those notes