Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Kids Are Full Of Surprises

It's a new school year and Caleb is now a 3rd grader. I ask myself, "Where has the time gone?" My handsome little munchkin has grown up so fast.

Caleb - age - 1 year

One day he is so helpless and depending on us for everything. Then the next day - lo and behold - right before our very eyes he becomes our little man, the man of the house.

On the first day back to school, our little third grader came home different. After Caleb had finished his homework and dinner he was in the kitchen for a prolonged amount of time. Kerrie and I heard the water running and we both wondered what he was up to now. So Kerrie called after Caleb and asked him what he was doing in the kitchen so long with the water running. He replied, "Nothing!" So after a few moments she decided she had better check up on him. She quietly crept up to the entryway and peeked in and could not believe her eyes. She quickly got the camera and this is what she caught him doing, just take a look:



This was Caleb's first time to do dishes and he did it on his own. No one asked him to do them. The next morning as Caleb was leaving for school, I was doing the breakfast dishes. He glanced into the kitchen and saw me doing the dishes and got so upset and cried out, "Mom, how come grandma gets to do the dishes and not me?" He was really upset and I thought he was actually going to cry about it. I promised him there would be something in the sink for him to wash when he got home. That calmed him down and he went on to school. He has been doing dishes every day since. Now, how long this will last is to be seen. Probably until the newness of this experience wears off but then again, who knows, one can never tell. Kerrie and I are both surprised that our rough and tumble, all out rugged Caleb, would even consider doing the dishes, when it has been so hard to get him to clean his room. Yet, Caleb has even started keeping his room clean too. (Well, better than before anyway) He even puts his dirty clothes in the clothes hamper. With all these changes taking place We thought, "Ok what have you done with our Caleb? Where is he and who are you?" LOL!!! Let's just say, Miracles never cease!

6 comments:

Carol Connell said...

That Caleb is something else!It's such a blessing to be able to watch our kids/grandkids learn new skills and take on new responsibilites. I know you and your daughter must be very proud of him. When he graduates to washing cars, can you send him over my way? :-)

Jolene Harris said...

LOL!!! Ooooh Sis. Connell, I never thought that far ahead. ;~) Caleb washing cars. Now that IS something to look forward too. When he gets his license to drive I just might send him your way to wash your car for you. LOL!

Karen J. Hopper said...

How precious, even if it means he is growing up. You can be proud of such a handsome young man.

Jolene Harris said...

Karen, yes, it is precious and it seems he is GROWING UP so very fast right before our very eyes. Yet, there are still those moments when he returns to being our little boy. Moments like when he will come up and crawl into our laps and snuggle and hug us oh so tight and sometimes even fall asleep in our laps with a whisper of "I love you grandma" or " I love you mom". When he is to big to do that any longer, then he has officially grown up. Then my heart will really be sad. :( (sniff, sniff, tear, tear) Sad that we can not longer snuggle our little Caleb and those moments are forever gone.

Yet, I know that in my heart we will be proud of the man that Jesus will make of him. I also know that the hugs will only get bigger and better as he grows bigger and stronger. Caleb will then become our protector. Now that is something to look forward to, bigger and stronger hugs. :~)

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Samuel is now 10 years old. And his hugs ARE bigger an d stronger. He is a great helper always willing to do extra. So yes, you can definitely look forward to MORE of Caleb in many ways.
Just purchased a very old car, in fantastic shape, but needed super deep cleaning. I'm on the list for your champion's help :)
Aren't grandchildren just a blast?

Jolene Harris said...

Catherine, Caleb, has now started checking the mail, locking and unlocking my car for me and the front door of the house as well. It's as if he woke up on the first day of 3rd grade and grew up all at once. He just seemed to change over night.

This past Thursday after school he asked me for the keys so he could check the mail and I told him I already checked it. THAT was the WRONG thing to have done. He was so let down. He felt that I didn't trust him anymore to do the job right. Boy, I won't check the mail anymore, let me tell you. I really let wind out of his sails that day.

Caleb has really come a lonnng way. We are totally amazed. God has done many great things in his life. PRAYER WORKS!!

I will put your name on his list of things to do. LOL!!!