Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Secret Of Creating Riches



Top picture - Timothy & Marc. Bottom Picture - Jonathon & Zack. Participants in one of our S.S. skits

"Never forget: the secret of creating riches for
oneself is to create them for others."
— Sir John Templeton:

"You know the story of Bill Gates. From a score of 1590 out of 1600 on the SAT to dropping out of Harvard. Then founding Microsoft and becoming the world’s richest man. But there’s something that’s usually forgotten about his story. He didn't climb to the summit of success alone — he carried millions of people with him. People from all walks of life who were able to prosper because of him. Find your own path — but make sure it's wide enough to handle all the lives it will change. Your Future You awaits."

As I read the quote above and the comment following it, the first thing that came to my mind was the future of my Sunday School kids. Teaching S.S. has always been my heartbeat. For a few years I was out of service in this department due to numerous reasons, my health being one of them. Now I am back and it feels so good.

After about three weeks of teaching, three children started coming up to me before and after class giving me a quick hug and saying "I love you Sis. Jolene." Oh the joy that brought to my soul. I must be doing something right. To date there are several children who now do this. :)

I was at the school the other day waiting to pick Caleb up when I hear some children yelling across the school grounds "Hi Sis. Jolene" I turn and look and there are a couple of my S.S. children just waving away at me and smiling. My heart leaped and I yelled back a hello to "my girls" and waved. Yesterday while waiting for Caleb I was attacked from behind. I felt these little arms circle me with a hug and hear this sweet little voice say "Hi Sis. Jolene" I turned to look into the eyes of one of my precious S.S. Children. This pleased me for this little guy is very shy and never says anything.

Two Sundays ago I had one young child approach me and say "Can I be your helper Sis. Jolene?" Oh for sure! You see this child is one who never sits still. Always out of his seat and never listens. He has noticed how those who help, listen, and participate in the lesson get little rewards. I now have his attention. Oh Absolutely! You most definitely can be my helper as long as you listen and participate. :) Last Sunday this child was an absolute angel! "Can I help you next week too Sis. Jolene?" You sure can! You can be my helper every Sunday if you want. I guarantee I will find something that he can do. When I first took the class I had about 5, I think it was, of these young boys that were like this. Now everyone one them are doing their best to be my helpers. They want to get a little something out of that goodies bag at the end of the class. Bribery you might say. I don't care what you call it, I have their attention during the lesson and that is all that matters to me because now they can answer the questions at the end of the lesson where before they couldn't.

If I have a child that starts to get a little out of line I don't need to yell at them or call their name out loud and draw attention to them I nonchalantly walk over to them as I am still talking and gently lay my hand on their shoulder and give a gentle squeeze and say their name and say what do you think about that? How would you feel if that happened to you? and some how I draw them back into the lesson. I make them feel a part. That is all they need is to feel a part, to feel important.

You see, I'm on a journey. I'm climbing the stairway to Heaven. That's where my path lay. My riches are not here but laid up in Heaven. So I must make sure that my path is wide enough that I can lead these children down that path with me. I have to make sure that my path is wide enough to handle all the lives it will change. Children of all walks of life who will be able to prosper spiritually because I was not afraid to share this life changing Gospel with them. Peter said it best in Acts 3:6 "Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee..." What better gift could I give these children than the eternal words of God. Words that will give them hope of a better life. Words that will lead them and guide them to a glorious city that will be without sin, pain, sickness, heartache, and will forever be full of joy and happiness, love, and peace and where we will forever be with the one who saved us by His grace.

I must "Never forget: the secret of creating riches for
oneself is to create them for others."

1 comment:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Beautifully said. You truly are creating riches not only for the children but for yourself. Rich is the man who has friends...and friends come in all ages. Blessings!