Monday, November 12, 2007

In Honor of Our Veterans


I know that Sunday was actually Veterans day but since Monday is being observed as a holiday in their honor, I would like to post a poem that I wrote in honor of our Veterans.


VETERANS

V – Valiant men and women - Fought for you and I
E – Engaged in battle - Knowing they could die
T – Tall they stood - For what they believed
E – Encouraged by their love - For this country
R – Remembering loved ones - Back at home
A – Anticipating hugs - Not knowing how long
N – Never the less - For their country they stood
S – Service to America - They gave all they could

Jolene Mendoza
11-12-2007


**Note** If you have not been to Shirley Buxton's blog site and viewed the Salute To Veterans, click on the link below to her site and check it out. It is worth watching. http://writenow.wordpress.com/2007/11/11/i-salute-the-veterans/

10 comments:

Rochelle said...

Wonderful tribute to our veterans. Thank you. I'm going over to Sis Buxton's now...

Just a thought said...

Jolene:
Great idea, if you do not mind I will copy the acronyms and us them in other places. I do feel very privileged to have known and been the friend of some vets.

Mervi

Jolene Harris said...

Merv, Go ahead, I don't mind.

Jolene Harris said...

Thank you Rochelle, it's the least I could do for them after all they have done for us.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful poem, Jolene. I am thankful for the men and women that have sacrficed for our freedoms.

Jolene Harris said...

Thank you Carol, These men and women do deserve honor for the service they have given to their country.

Yvonne said...

Aunty Jo Jo I didn't know you had such poetic ability! Great poem!!!

Jolene Harris said...

Thank you Bonzi, but I must confess, and be honest. I got stuck after the fourth line and I (shhhhh don't tell any one) called your mom and she help me get going again. There I feel better now that the cat is out of the bag. Confession is good for the soul. ;)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful tribute, Jolene. My husband is a veteran, although he was only in the active duty for 4 years and inactive reserves for 8 years. Our pastor gave a beautiful tribute to the veterans in our church by having them all stand up on veterans' day to honor them.

Jolene Harris said...

Karen, It doesn't matter how long one served. All that matters is that they served and did their part for their country. Because of them we are free to worship our God today. We have a lot of liberties that other countries do not because of men and women who have fought and willing laid down their lives to buy our freedom to have these liberties. For this, I am thankful.