Saturday, June 7, 2008

Laughter, The Best Medicine



It is said that children laugh 300-400 times a day during their important formative years, but adult laughter has reduced to just 5-10 times a day. It is also proven that laughter is one of our best defences against stress, and it is important that we find ways to laugh more to cope with stress and remain healthy in the modern world. Laughter is nature's antidote to stress. Stress kills, laughter heals.

One of the fruits of God's spirit is joy. Prov 29:18 (NKJV) says: "But happy is he who keeps the law." God wants us to be happy and joyful. Let's not miss out on the enjoyment in life that God wants us to have. Remember a little humor and a little laughter can make our lives much more enjoyable. LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE you could ever take for some of your troubles. Take a dose, laugh a little, live a little and thank God for all the blessings he has bestowed upon you.

"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones." Proverbs 17:22

A friend of mine shared the following clip with me and I enjoyed it so much that I thought I would share it with all of you. Click on the link below and then click open for a good laugh. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.


10 comments:

Carol Connell said...

Jolene,

Please stop by my blog. I am dedicating a poem to you.

Jolene Harris said...

Sis. Connell, I just read the poem that you dedicated to me and it is absolutely beautiful. Thank you!

My mom use to say "Sometimes you have to laugh just to keep from crying." I have always found that after a good hearty laugh things don't look so bad after all and I do feel so much better.

The poem says it all and sums it up quite well. Thanks again.
Love you,
jolene

Rochelle said...

It just feels good to laugh!!! Sometimes when life is stressful, I have a few friends I want to be around because they make me laugh. Sadness and anger can both be intense emotions therefore we can sometimes choose... choose whether to cry or laugh... I CHOOSE TO LAUGH!! Great post.

Jana Allard said...

Great post! AND, I LOVE that picture. It really captures the joy you two have in being sisters.

Jolene Harris said...

Sis. Allard, That pic was taken at my sissy's wedding. Oh did we ever have some fun that day and we did laugh, a lot. Some of my best memories of laughter are with my sister. Some have been in happy occasions and others have been in the darkest moments of our lives. In those dark times, when we got together and laughed, it just lifted us up and out of those dark shadows. Then we were able to cope and heal.

I have found that A merry heart doeth good like a medicine just like His word says. So laugh I will. :0)

Jolene Harris said...

Rochelle, I know exactly what you mean about choosing. Like when I was told I had the brain tumor, that news was so devastating that I could not go home and be around my children because I knew they would be sad and upset. I needed someone to shake me and get me out of my shocked mode and bring me around so I sought out my best friend, Patty and of course she was there for me and shared her concern but she knew what I needed most, LAUGHTER!

Before long we were sitting at her kitchen table and making every joke we could about a brain tumor. Things like, me having things on my mind that ought not to be there and having pressing matters on my mind and I can't think straight because I have a cluttered mind and so forth. I can't remember them all but the jokes just kept coming one after the other and we laughed so hard until our sides were splitting.

I knew then deep inside I would be OK. With friends like that how could I be other wise. Laughter pulled me through that day. I was then able to get in my car and drive home. Thank God for LAUGHTER and friends and family to share it with.

Chandra said...

Yay for laughter!! :O)

janet said...

Awesome post, Jolene! I LOVE this picture of you and your sister! I do believe in the saying "sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying!" I can't say I've always been able to do that, but I am trying to get better at it. I admit I'm just way too serious a lot of the time.

...But when I laugh...I do laugh...and I can do so quite heartily! I want to do more of that! You're right it is such a stress reliever and it is good medicine!

Thanks for the reminder and for this wonderful, beautiful photo that you have shared!

Jolene Harris said...

Chandra, And He put laughter in my soul.

Jolene Harris said...

Janet, It is by far the best pic of my sister and I. I guess it is my favorite because it captures a moment of time where we were sharing such deep hearty laughter. There was so much joy in the air that day. I can look back on this pic and relive it over and over again.