Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My Little Scam Artist


My grandson decided he did not want to go to school this morning so he started out with pretending that he was really tired and needed to go back to sleep after his mother left for work. I told him to quit pretending that he was asleep and to get his shoes back on. He pretended not to hear as though he was asleep. But I got his attention. Then he looked at me and said "Grandma, are you OK?" and I replied "Yes Caleb, why?" He said, "Because you don't look to good. You look really sick. You shouldn't be driving when your sick like that. Guess I'll have to stay home."

I just about lost it. Where does he come up with things like this? Two weeks ago we were talking to him about joining the boys and girls club after school. He would only be there until his mom gets off work. He was really excited. We explained to him that before he could play any games he had to do his homework first then he would get to participate in the games. He furrowed his eyebrows and declared to his mother and I, "It's just a scam, that's all it is. A stinking homework scam. They do this just to make you do your homework. I tell ya it's just a scam."

My daughter and I just about rolled on the floor with laughter. I do not know where he comes up with these ideas but he blows me away sometimes. Where did he learn the word scam? I asked him if he knew what it meant and he said, "It's where someone tricks you into doing something." Well, I guess he knows what it means. This morning he was trying to do the scamming.

11 comments:

Rochelle said...

That IS funny! I'm not exactly sure my Keilani knows how to use that word in a sentence yet! I love that he is able to speak his mind so well!! Too cute!

Linda Elms said...

CUTE! I know you must enjoy him a lot!

Jana Allard said...

LOL What a kid!!! Tonight I prayed with him and he was so sweet. He told me some things upset him at school and I told him he can tell Jesus everything that upsets him and Jesus will help him. I then asked him if he believed, and he shook his head "yes." Such a smart kid!

Jolene Harris said...

Rochelle, Caleb is very good in reading, spelling, math, and vocabulary. But his handwriting REALLY needs a lot of help. He is pretty smart for 6 years old. I am really blown away at times with the words he comes up with in his vocabulary. My daughter and I wonder where he hears some of the words he comes up with. Like the other day I asked him if he wanted some oatmeal and he replied "Oh that's loathsome". I asked him what that meant and he said, "disgusting, duh!"

Jolene Harris said...

Sis. Elms, Yes I do enjoy him. Nothing like being a grandmother. My daughter adopted Caleb. We got him when he was 6 weeks old. He is quite a character. He is our special blessing from God.

Jolene Harris said...

Remember when we prayed for Caleb week ago Monday at prayer meeting? The following Thursday is when he had his shutdown at school and now things are being done. The paper work has been filled out and something is being done for him now. God answers prayers. But the teacher and principal and vice principal all needed to see first hand what we were talking about before they could help. Now they know what Dyspraxia and Sensory Disorder is all about. Their eyes have been opened. He may be an intelligent child but he does have a disability. Though the neurologist says there is no cure, with counciling, he can learn how to deal or cope with situations in order to overcome these obstacles so he won't become so frustrated .

Carol Connell said...

Hi Jolene,

You do have one smart grandson. I remember you telling me about him using the word scam. I guess he decided to try one out for himself. I got an e-mail about this sciene project a couple of days ago that I thought might be interesting for your grandson.

See what you think.

http://www.explorationeducation.com/Newsletter/January2008/

Hope you have a great day.

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Children are full of surprises. Right now Samuel is changing and learning to deal with his disabilities.
He is very smart and has lots of serious questions when he is feeling well. But I know that God is in control and his birth was a miracle.
How are you feeling Sis?

Jolene Harris said...

He sure did Carol and he thought he was going to get away with it too. He was surprised though when I told him I was well enough to drive him to school. What a character!

I will try this science project out with him and let you know how it goes. I am sure he is going to like this. Thanks.

Jolene Harris said...

Catherine, They sure are. Some of those surprises are pleasant and some of them, well, not so pleasant. But don't you just love them anyway? They sure do keep us on our toes don't they?

Yesterday was pretty rough. I'm nursing a migraine right now. It woke me up at 4am and I could not go back to sleep so I was praying and pacing and praying some more. Took my meds and prayed some more. Finally started getting some relief so I am doing better now. I had 9 real good days and then BAM! I felt like someone slammed a baseball bat upside my head. I survived though. :D I'm still here Praise God!

So I have a few of bad days here and there big deal. I still give God the glory and honor. I know He has it all under control and I still trust Him.

Yvonne said...

LOL that's great! I love Caleb he's too cute!!!!!!! Love ya auntie jo jo!!