Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Finding Time


My grandson asked me a few weeks back what the word "Ditto" meant. So I tried to break it down to "his" level so he would understand and explained it like this: "Well Caleb, if someone tells you that they love you and you love them, then instead of saying I love you too, you can simply say Ditto. If someone says I'm cold and you are cold too, you can say Ditto instead of saying I'm cold too. Or if someone says I'm hungry and" then Caleb says, "Oh I get it. Then if I'm hungry I can say Ditto instead of saying I'm hungry too cause it means the same thing." I said "You got it." He replied, "Cool!"

Well, the other day I was trying to clean house and do laundry and so forth and it just seemed that Caleb was messing up as soon as I was cleaning up. I would tell him to please stay out of stuff. It seemed as though it would go in one ear and out the other. He was so hyper. I told him if he didn't sit down and read a book or color and stay out of stuff he was going to bed. He replied with "I'm not tired." Next thing I knew he had stuff strung out all over the living room again. I said, "Caleb Anthony Wollard, you are getting on my last nerve!" He simply replied, "DITTO" At first I was stuned at his reply, then I nearly fell in the floor with laughter. How can you be mad after that? He then looked at me with his big brown eyes and said "Grandma why can't you clean house later and just play a game with me for a little bit?" Well, I just wrapped my arms around him and told him how much I loved him and of course we sat down and played games. I simply set the housework aside for a while. Wouldn't you have done the same thing? He melted my heart that day. Such child like love. Sure did me good.

I realized then that all he wanted was my attention. That while he was making one mess after another, all he wanted was for me to stop what I was doing and give him a few moments of my time. That is all he was asking for. But I was to busy to realize that he needed me. That he needed to know that I cared and wanted to be with him and that he was important to me and special enough to spend time with.

When our children are acting up maybe we need to stop and ask ourselves are they simply asking for a few moments of our time? What will it hurt to take time out of our busy schedule to stop and give them 30 minutes? We need to spend quality time to play a game or read books, tell stories, or whatever to let them know just how speacial they are to us.

Then I began to ponder today on how many times has God tried to get my attention when I have been busy going about my day. Have I been encumbered about with so many things that I have not heard His voice when He has tried to get my attention? Has He wanted to spend time with me and I have been to busy for Him? Have there been times that the Lord has had to put things in my way that has MESSED my day up trying to get my attention so that I would stop and turn to Him and spend time with Him? How many times have I tried to clean things up only to have them MESSED up again because the Lord is trying to get my attention? Do my actions say, "Lord you are getting on my last nerve? and He is responding with "DITTO" and then simply ask in that still small voice, "Why can't you do what you are doing later and just spend time with me for a few moments?"

"Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word. But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her." Luke 10: 38-42

Lord I am asking you to help me to be like Mary and not Martha. I don't only want to receive you into my home but I want to be found sitting at your feet and not cumbered about with so many things that I do not have time for you. I want to choose that good part which shall never be taken away from me.

17 comments:

Carol Connell said...

We live in a busy world where it is so much easier to be a Martha than a Mary, but you are so right about God wanting our time. There are blessings and wisdom that God would like to impart to us that can't be attained by quickly running in and out of His presence. May God help us to be sensitive enough to hear when He is calling us to spend more time with Him. Thank you for this post, Jolene.

Music Eloquence said...

This is a good post...it reminds me of a song Larnell Harris sings that says, "I miss my time with you... those moments together... I need to be with you each day... and it hurts me when you say you're too busy... too busy trying to serve me, yet how can you serve me when your spirit's empty?" Our Creator longs to know His creation so intimately.
Your grandson sounds like a real joy to have around... keeps you on your toes. =) God bless you and your little guy.

Jolene Harris said...

Sis. Carol, You are so right. It is so easy to be a Martha. This life has such a way of getting us wrapped up and the next thing we know time has escaped us. We must learn to set aside "every weight" and take time for the Lord. After all, He is the lover of our soul.

Jolene Harris said...

Von de Leigh, That song goes perfect with this post. Thanks for bringing it to my memory. Now I will be digging through my music to find it so I can play it. Makes me want to draw even closer to God.

Yes my grandson is a real character and does he ever keep me on my toes. But I wouldn't have it any other way. He keeps life interesting.

Anonymous said...

What a great post. And timely too. Just today I was at my wits end, but with my 3 kids. It seems I keep doing the same job over and over and over... You get the picture. I was becoming very frustrated, but like your little grandson, I had to step back and take a look. We had things to do but instead of assigning, I helped each of them with a task, getting the job done and time together just talking. It ended up being a rather relaxed time and best of all...The bathroom, bedroom and hallway got cleaned. YIPEE!!!!

How true that we tend to be busy about our Fathers business doing instead of being with Him.

Thanks for this post. What a wonderful reminder about what really is important.

This just came to mind that someone told me years ago...
If the stall is clean...no ox live there.

God Bless!

Jolene Harris said...

Myblessings, Isn't it amazing how God can speak to us through an innocent child? Though we need to clean our homes and we need to be about our Father's business, we should never forget to spend time WITH our family and WITH our God.

I like your comment about if the stall is clean...no ox live there. Though I like a clean home I want it to look warm and inviting. Not so clean that one is afraid of stepping inside for fear of messing something up. Our family and God should feel warm and invited into our time and space without fear of messing up our busy schedule.

Jana Allard said...

This is another great post. I really like the 30-30 thing Pastor Allard is asking of us. 30 minutes of devotion with your family and 30 minutes of play. Our kids need that undivided attention.

Jolene Harris said...

Sis Allard, I couldn't agree with you more. I was blown away when Pastor got up and spoke on this last night. I thought WOW! Here we go again. We are both on the same page. Another confirmation from the Lord. Here he is preaching on what I just posted and he didn't even know about my post because I just posted it.

Just goes to show that this is an important factor in the eyes of God. If we don't spend some valuable time with our children, the world will and then what will happen to them? We also need to teach our children to learn to spend valuable time with the Lord as well. Pastor was right on last night that's for sure.

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

Wonderful post!
A friend of mine told me how when he was a youngster his mother would give me money and send him to have fun when all he wanted was for her to spend time with him. He didn't believe that she loved him.
"I love you Lord" - "but I'm too busy to spend time with You". Of course we'd never say it like that, but that is what we are saying when we don't make time for God or our loved ones.

Rochelle said...

We just kicked off a "Mary & Martha Project" in our ladies ministry. All year long we will be putting these principles in practice. Oh what balance we need in our lives to get it right. I just started reading this book again too. I don't want to be so busy that I miss out on being in His presense. I'm afraid I do this all too often. Forgive me, Jesus. This is a wonderful post.

Bambi said...

lol! Kids, you just gotta love 'em. lol

Speaking of love, I've been really loving spending time reading your blog. In fact, I've just started blogging on blogger and a link to yours in one of the first in my favorites. I definitely plan on returning.

Have a great weekend!

Blessings!
Bambi

Jolene Harris said...

Catherine, I have a cousin who feels the same way about her mother. Her mom was always to busy to ever spend any time with her. Unfortuantely today they don't even speak to each other. It is so sad. Now they both question if either one loves the other.

Jolene Harris said...

Rochelle, sounds like an interesting project. In todays world it is so easy to get caught away in the hussel and bussel of life and the next thing you know there has been no time set aside for the Lord. That is why we MUST make time. Like you said we've got to have balance.

Jolene Harris said...

Bambi, I am glad you enjoy my blog site. Feel free to drop by anytime. Yes, kids, you do gotta love 'em. They sure keep us on our toes. I paid your site a visit. You are off to a good start. I will be back to visit you again.

blessings
jolene

Yvonne said...

Love this! Love you toooo! Oh hey check out my blog I posted a video of me and mom and cristie singing when mom was in ark and I'm going to post a vid of Karynn singing too.

Bambi said...

Thank you, Jolene. I'm glad you liked what you saw, and I hope you do visit again. I'm a terrible writer, though. As in real life, I tend to be quiet, unless I have something to say. If you've ever seen "Gone In 60 Seconds", you'll probably remember the guy everyone thought was mute. I'm kind of like him, only not that bad. lol

Hugs & Blessings,
Bambi

Jolene Harris said...

Yvonne, I love you toooo!. By the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I went to your site and must say, I enjoyed hearing you, your mom and your sister singing. But when are you going to post Karynn singing? You aren't going to leave me hanging here are you? get with it girl!

Love you,
Auntie jo jo