Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My Grandson - My Responsibility


My grandson walked into the computer room about 3 weeks ago and spotted an old bible sitting next to the computer that was his auntie Kellie's when she was a little girl. He reached over and picked it up and read the cover and said, “Holy Bible”. Then he turned to me and said, “Grandma, how come you know so much about the bible?” That question took me by surprise. I said, “Well, Caleb I guess because it is the very essence of my life and I study and read it every chance I get.” He then asked me what essence meant. So I told him that in this case that essence meant that the bible is the very spirit, the very heart, the real meaning, and the very soul of my life and without it I cannot live, that my soul would die and I would be lost.

Caleb then opened up the bible and turned to this page and read the following:


I was very excited that he was able to read this scripture on his own. He really liked the picture that went with this verse. He then asked me what it meant so I began to explain it to him. My heart was overjoyed to have my 6 year old grandson asking me questions concerning the word of God. Caleb then said that the bible has too many words and wanted to know how I could read them all. So I explained that I read a little everyday. That God has so many wonderful things to tell us and that there is no way we could read about it all in a day or a week or a month. That it takes a year or so to read about all the wonderful things he has to tell us. I told him that I have read God’s word many times and that when I have read it over and over I get something new out of it every time.

Caleb then asked me what kind of things God tells us in the bible. So I began to explain to him how God tells us that he loves us. How he is our friend and how he will provide for us and protect us. At that time all the tornados were going through many areas. So I took him to Sis Elm’s blog site and showed him how Bro Lance’s church was hit by a tornado and destroyed but how those that were in the church had gathered into a closet and how God had kept His hand on them and spared them all. I read the entire article to him and he was so amazed and said, “WOW, God does protect huh grandma?”

As I sat and heard so many wonderful messages at the Ladies Conference, my heart was so uplifted. Sister Hernandez was awesome on that first night speaking on forgiveness. This is a must! If we don’t forgive you know our Father in Heaven cannot forgive us. Sis Buxton did an outstanding job on speaking about the audacity to believe in the next generation to carry on this precious, precious Gospel. Then Sis Hodges spoke on passing on a Legacy. As these ladies were speaking, my above conversation with my grandson came back to me. I thought Oh Dear God, I do have the audacity to believe in my grandson to carry on this precious Gospel. I will pass on this Legacy to him. I will teach him everything I know about you. I will teach him everything I know about your precious word. I will teach him how to forgive when someone does him wrong so that you will be able to forgive him when he does wrong. I will teach him how to live for you and how to fall in love with you. I will teach him how to serve you. I will teach him how to put you first and foremost above everyone else and everything else. I will do my best to be an example of what a Christian is to be.

You think that when your kids are grown and gone from the nest that your work is done. NOT SO! Now you have grandchildren looking your way. Our work is never done. It continues until the day we die. I must continue to be an example to my grandson and my grown children. I must continue to pass on this Legacy as long as I live.

I am so thankful that God touched my body and allowed me to attend the Ladies Conference. The devil did everything thing in his power to keep me from going. But my God came through and I was able to go. What wonderful, powerful, annointed messages did we hear. The singing was none the less. I have truly been blessed by attending the 2008 Western District Ladies Conference.

10 comments:

Rochelle said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better. Your grandson sounds precious. He has beautiful examples of Godly living. Thank you for sharing your love for Him, not only to your family, but with all of us here. You are such a blessing to me.

Jolene Harris said...

Rochelle, I am feeling much better, praise God. I was a bit worried. Thought I wasn't going to be able to make it but I did. I must say it was well worth the effort it took to get there that's for sure and God came down and touched my body. I go in March 4th for my next MRI concerning the brain tumor. We will all find out then the results of the many prayers that have gone up for me. I am believing that we are going to hear the results of a miracle. :D

Carol Connell said...

Wonderful post, Jolene! How important it is to pass down a godly legacy to our children and grandchildren. May God help us to continue doing this until He comes. So glad you were able to attend Ladies' Conference, and I look forward to hearing about the miracle when you go to your doctor and March 4th in victory! Love you.

Jana Allard said...

First, this is a great post and it is exciting that you had this "moment" with Caleb. How exciting?!?!?! Second, I am so glad you and your sister got to spend time together and go to the ladies conf. I'm sure you enjoyed all of it. I'm still trying to catch up! LOL

Just a thought said...

Jolene:
At this point in my life I spend a lot of time on reflection. Mervi, reflectioning, on what? I am so humbled, so people will drought this. But when I look at my, “generations in the Lord,” Jolene I am a great-grand-father once and will be a second time before year’s end. How did I really do in the raising of my two sons? What could I have done differentially? What can I do now to be an influence on these, no longer children, but adults who are following my shadow?
But my hope is in the times I took them to the House of our God, camp meeting, youth services and the Bible times just between them and I. This is all I really have hope in now.
Glad to hear you are doing better, I will call your grand-sons name in prayer along with yours.

Mervi
http://passthisway.blogspot.com/

Jolene Harris said...

Sis. Connell, I missed you at Ladies Conference. I got to see Sis Eva again. She is such a pleasant lady to be around. We were all definitely blessed for going, that's for sure.

I will let you know as soon as I get the MRI results.

love you

Jolene Harris said...

Sis Allard, I will remember this moment with him. I have left that bible close to the computer and Caleb still picks it up every now and then and will flip through it. I told him it belonged to his Auntie Kellie when she was a little girl. I think that is why he likes it so much. I am ready and waiting to answer any questions he has.

Had a wonderful time with my sister and already looking forward to next year!

Jolene Harris said...

Mervi, All we can do is keep on being an example to our grown children. None of us are perfect. What we must show them is that when we make mistakes is that we correct those mistakes and keep on keeping on. They see and they understand. They will follow.

I feel much better and thanks for your continued prayers. God bless!
jolene

Chandra said...

I am VERY thankful that you were able to attend Ladies Conference. I prayed for you all last week, and am very pleased to know that you had a great time.

And Caleb... :O) he makes me smile!!

Jolene Harris said...

Chandra, Thank you for your prayers. They worked! God heard and I was blessed. As for Caleb, he loves you as one of his Sunday School Teachers. I appreciate all that you do for him and teach him. You are very precious to me (and a barrel of laughs too) LOL!
luv ya,
jolene