Friday, July 25, 2008

STRESS

The Sun Fountain - Peterhof Great Palace - St. Peterberg, Russia


A lecturer when explaining stress management to an audience, raised a glass of water and asked 'How heavy is this glass of water?'

Answers called out ranged from 20g to 500g.

The lecturer replied, 'The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long you try to hold it. If I hold it for a minute, that's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my right arm. If I hold it for a day, you'll have to call an ambulance. In each case, it's the same weight, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes'.

He continued, 'And that's the way it is with stress management. If we carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later, as the burden becomes increasingly heavy, we won't be able to carry on. As with the glass of water, you have to put it down for a while and rest before holding it again. When we're refreshed, we can carry on with the burden. So, before you return home tonight, put the burden of work down. Don't carry it home. You can pick it up tomorrow. Whatever burdens you're carrying now, let them down for a moment if you can. So, my friend, put down anything that may be a burden to you right now. Don't pick it up again until after you've rested a while'.

After reading this, it reminded me of what Jesus said; "Come to me, all of you who are weary and loaded down with burdens, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28 International Standard Version.

This lecturer spoke about something so small as a simple glass of water that can become a heavy burden when we don't learn to lay it down. It is the little things in life that can destroy us if we let them. Song of Solomon 2:1 talks about "the little foxes, that spoil the vines:" We need to learn to "be careful for nothing" just like it says in Philippians 4:6.

We need to learn to turn everything over to him for Matthew 11:29-30 reads;"Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls."

He has promised that if we come to Him He will give us rest; "This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing" Isaiah 28:12.

To many times we try to do things on our own instead of learning to lean on Jesus. The battle is not ours but it is the Lord's. Yes, we need to learn to lay our burdens down and drink from the fountain of refreshing waters.

8 comments:

Carol Connell said...

Wonderful post! Sometimes it's easy to try to carry the weight of the world on our shoulders, but if we will just give our burdens over to Him, He will give us that rest that He has promised. I'm thankful we serve a God that never finds our problems too heavy or overwhelming, but in those stressful times, He is there to carry us, if we will but let Him.

Karen J. Hopper said...

Your post reminded me of an old song. Here's a few lines: "If I hold my peace, let the Lord fight my battles, Victory, Victory shall be mine". And may I add more (from your words), If I turn my burdens over to Him, I won't have to deal with stress, I'll have Victory. Isn't He wonderful!

Rochelle said...

I have never heard this before. This was an excellent way to look at how we hold on to stress. Thank you!!

Faith Motivates Miracles! said...

Amen Sis! That was a great post. Give it all to Jesus. Shattered dreams wounded hearts and He will turn your sorrow into joy!! Leave it at the alter at the feet of Jesus.

Jolene Harris said...

Sis. Connell, It took me a long time to learn to give my burdens over to Him. I had such a habit of carrying my burdens myself. What a difference when I did learn to give it ALL to Him in prayer.

Jolene Harris said...

Karen, That is a beautiful song. Many times I have had to remind myself of that as well. Keep quiet and let the Lord fight this battle and victory shall be mine. For as sure as I open my big mouth and try to fight it on my own I can guarantee I will make things much worse than they already are. Don't need that stress that's for sure.

Jolene Harris said...

Rochelle, I really liked this when I read it. I could really relate to it. Then I was able to see how it could fit in with our spiritual walk with God as well. I know in times past I really had a problem with hanging onto stress. Still yet I have to get onto myself. I guess old habits die hard. But thanks to God and my Pastor I am learning how to let go and let God take control of it all.

Jolene Harris said...

Sis Noel, you are so right. For He has turned my sorrow into joy more than once. We do serve a wonderful God don't we?