Saturday, May 31, 2008

Gossip & Lies

I don*t repeat gossip so listen closly!

I don't repeat gossip, so listen closely!


Robert Louis Stevenson:There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it behooves all of us not to talk about the rest of us.

Why is it that some people want to downgrade another person? They seem to get a great delight out of spreading gossip and lies about other people. It seems they enjoy spreading the talk of an other's downfall. To that Sis Maxine Wilson would say: "But for the grace of God, there go I." I agree with her whole heartily. If you see someone fall and make a mistake and you want to talk about them, then go to prayer and talk to the Lord. As for the lies, that shouldn't be happening at all.

Paul said; "This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief." 1 Timothy 1:15 We are all nothing more than sinners saved by grace. Each of us are just mere flesh and capable of making a mistake and falling flat on our face. When we see our brother or sister by the wayside we are suppose to reach out to them and lead them back to the sheepfold not destroy them with our tongue.

I don't want to be like the priest and the Levite who pass by the wounded traveler and leave him laying to die. I choose to be like the Good Samaritan who provides the help needed that Jesus talks about in Luke 10:30-37. I don't want to be a destroyer of my brother or sister with words of my mouth. I want to help lift them up in the Lord and lead them back to the right path.

8 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

A post that everyone should read. Enjoyed the reminder to be so careful with our words.

Carol Connell said...

Psa 141:3 Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips.

Maybe if we prayed this as a prayer, it would be harder for us to open our mouths about someone overtaken in a fault. Thanks for this post, Jolene.

Rochelle said...

So very true... I agree with Sister Hopper. Great reminder.

Jolene Harris said...

Karen and Rochelle, the old cliché "Sticks and stones may brake my bones but words will never hurt me", is just that, a cliché. Words are very hurtful and we as Christians, like you said, need to be very careful with our words.

Our words should uplifting and encouraging not destructive. We will be held accountable for everything that proceeds out of our mouth. That is a lot to think about isn't it?

Jolene Harris said...

Sis Connell, Great Scripture! I agree we should pray this as a prayer. It sure would put us in check before we speak wouldn't it?

Jana Allard said...

Karen put it best - "A post that everyone should read!!!"

Faith Motivates Miracles! said...

The first part of your post from Robert Louis Stevenson is awesome. It is so true. That's why it is so important to keep our eyes on Jesus. People, saints, friends and family will disapoint us every time. God is the only one who is faithful and true. Like my pastor preached last week, "If you dont have something nice to say, keep your mouth shut!" Loved it. Why waste air to create negative energy thats causes hurt that leaves wounds that will have to heal and takes valuable time away from someone? When you could of just saved your breath..... Lord help me to speak words that breed life, joy, peace and most of all love. Sis Noel

Jolene Harris said...

Sis Noel, Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment. Please feel free to stop by any time.

I so agree with you. If you don't have anything good to say then don't say anything at all. We should be lifting each other up, not tearing each other down.

I had a pastor once who had caught a couple of mice in a mouse glue trap and they had literally eaten away at each other trying to get out of that trap. He used that as an object lesson one night about gossip and how we as "Christians" destroy each other with our gossip about one another. How our words literaly eats away at each other until we destroy one another. It was a great lesson let me tell you. That is exactly what gossip does. It eats away at the unity of the church. When someone comes up to us with some gossip we need to put a lid on it and fast. I believe the rest of your song in your post goes:

Oh be careful little ears what you hear

So not only do we need to be careful of what we say but we need to be careful of what we hear as well. I went to your blog site and enjoyed what you had to say on this matter. You did an excellent post.