Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A HEARTILY PRAYER


"Is not prayer a study of truth, a sally of the soul into the unfound infinite? No man ever prayed heartily without learning something."— Ralph Waldo Emerson

When I read this quote it brought my pastor to mind. Pastor Allard has been heavily stirred in his spirit and I can see it in his countenance. He has been speaking to us as of late on the importance of prayer. Not just a Now I lay me down to sleep prayer, or a prayer when you sit down at a meal to eat, or a quick 5 minute prayer at the altar after the preaching of the Word. But an honest to goodness soul searching prayer. A prayer where you really get a hold of the horns of the altar. Deep soul searching prayer. Prayer that will reach the throne of God. A prayer that will cause a life changing experience. Like the quote says above, "No man ever prayed heartily without learning something."

When I first came to the Lord it was in prayer that He led me to the whole truth. It was through prayer that God opened up my understanding and showed me the way. I have always found the answers to the most critical needs in my life in prayer. Financial needs have been met, sicknesses have been healed, doors have been opened, loved ones have been saved all through the power of prayer.

I looked up words that go with heartily and this is what I found: vigorously, energetically, thoroughly, excessively, completely, forcefully, enthusiastically, strongly, dynamically, robustly, with gusto, and powerfully. All of these explain how we should really pray.

"The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16) Yes, Ralph Waldo Emerson, A HEARTILY PRAYER is the way to go.

6 comments:

Rochelle said...

I have been feeling the need for some heartily prayers. When my daughter got hurt yesterday I felt a heavy presence come into my car that seemed to tell me that my determination to grow spiritually is only adding stress to my life. My daughter has had several minor boo boos lately, but the call from school that told me that the ambulance was called for her prompted those intrusive thoughts. (By the way - Keilani is okay.) Immediately when I felt that darkness enter my car I rebuked it and thanked God for taking care of my baby. And she is just fine. I believe the heartily prayers of late were covering her. Great post.

Jolene Harris said...

Rochelle, It is those heartily prayers that get us through in those desperate times of needs. It is like putting money in the savings. It is there for us to draw on in times of need. If we don't stock up on prayer there will be nothing to make a withdraw from when we need it.

Thank God you have been having heartily prayers with the Lord. Therefore you were able to tap into them for Keilani's sake. Praise God she is OK. That is one nasty mark on her neck for sure.

Carol Connell said...

I can't say that I always pray this way, but I would like to. Sometimes prayer is a struggle, because there is an enemy to our soul who tries to hinder us. However, I do know from experience that if we persist in prayer, God will help us to break through the hindrances. Thank you for another great post.

Jolene Harris said...

Sis. Connell, I don't believe any of us always pray this way. But we should at least strive to do so. Like Paul said in Philippians 3:14 "I PRESS toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."

Jana Allard said...

I love the picture. Even the server standing in the corner had his head bowed in reverance.

If we could all catch the vision of prayer given to us by Pastor Allard, I believe our church would explode with growth. He came home from Eagle's Summit so refreshed and inspired. I'm glad he and Bryce were able to attend. I just wish I could have been there.

Jolene Harris said...

Sis. Allard, When I ran across this pic and saw the verse attached to it I had to have it for this post. It just fit perfect.

Bryce did great Wednesday night leading service. You could tell he also was stirred from attending Eagle's Summit. He was encouraging everyone to press on and go from praising the Lord into Worshiping the Lord. Big difference between praise and worship.

I harbor a secret pride in my heart for Bryce. I guess maybe because when my life was in such a turmoil he, Sarah, and Amber used to come over and spend alot of time swimming and hanging out and it took my mind off of my issues and brought me laughter. We did have so much fun. I have watched him grow into a fine young man for the Lord and that does me proud. :)