Thursday, May 1, 2008

Send Him Back?


This is my grandson, Caleb and I wouldn't trade him for all the money in the world. He is adopted. We consider him a SPECIAL gift from God. I could not love this little boy any more if he was my own flesh and blood. He came to us at 6 weeks of age with two black eyes and a swollen nose. The poor child had to sleep in his carrier for about a month after we got him because he could not lay down flat or he would have trouble breathing. It was definitely love at first sight when we all laid eyes on this child. My daughter knew in her heart that she was going to be his mom when she took him into her home.

Caleb is a very intelligent child. He excels in school. He is a great reader, does well in spelling and is one of the smartest first graders in science I have ever seen. Yet, Caleb does have some problems. He suffers from what they call Sensory Processing Disorder and Dyspraxia. Now you may be wondering what that is so I will give you a brief description.

Sensory Processing Disorder has two types: Sensory-Avoiding children and Sensory-Seeking children. Caleb suffers from Sensory Avoiding disorder. He tries to avoid or minimize sensations by avoiding being touched. He hates certain material and therefore won't wear certain clothes. He has fear of movement and heights, is very cautious and unwilling to take risks or try new things, feels uncomfortable in loud or busy environments such the mall, or convention centers, and is an extreme picky eater and overly sensitive to food smells and loud music. Has extreme fear of water.

Dyspraxia includes poor balance, poor fine and gross motor co-ordination, difficulty with throwing and catching a ball, poor awareness of body position in space, difficulty hopping, skipping or riding a bike, sensitive to touch, intolerance of having hair or teeth brushed, nails and hair cut, slow to learn to dress themselves, finds some clothing uncomfortable, slow to learn to speak, and very impatient.

This next statement is so true and describes my grandson so well. Children with Dyspraxia are more often above average intelligence but are often behavior immature. They try hard to fit in to socially accepted behaviour when at school but often throw tantrums when at home. They find it difficult to understand simple logic and reason.

My daughter works with Special ED children and knew from the experience of her job, that Caleb had some problems. So she took him to a neurologist. This is how we found out his diagnosis. Caleb is such a joy and delight to have in the family yet, he can be quite a handful at times. This child does have his moments, let me tell you. Are we sorry we adopted him with the problems he has and the hard times that come with his bad moments? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! Someone made the comment, "To bad you just can't send him back." When I heard that, it made my blood boil. My daughter and this family would never, in a million years, even consider the thought of sending this precious child back. He is ours! God knew what He was doing when He placed Caleb in our family. My daughter's experience in working with Special Ed children has prepared her in helping Caleb. He has come along way in the past year. With the counselling he is getting and the love of his mom and the rest of the family, CALEB WILL SUCCEED.

I got to thinking about what this person had to say about sending Caleb back because of his imperfections. I would like to ask this individual how they would feel if Jesus would decide to send them back to the world because they are not perfect. I ask this individual to think about it; when they had a bad attitude or said or did the wrong thing, when they went somewhere they should not have gone, or looked down their nose at someone in a unchristian way, had an ungodly thought, or gossiped, or just simply didn't worship or pray like they should have, so Jesus turns to them and says, "That's it, you're out of here. I'm sending you back". How would they feel? I would like to ask this individual, "Do you think Jesus ever regrets taking you in and giving you His Name? I don't think so and yet, you're not perfect. You still make mistakes. You still have to hit the altar and ask for forgiveness every now and then and in spite of all of your shortcomings He still loves you and because the Lord still loves you HE WILL HELP YOU SUCCEED. Let me ask you, Do you think He should send you back?"

My daughter took Caleb into her home and gave him her name. He is her son, my grandson. We have no regrets whatsoever of taking this child in. He is ours and we love him. Send him back? NEVER!!!

13 comments:

Carol Connell said...

Hi Jolene,

I'm sorry you had to endure the hurt of someone telling you that it's too bad you can't send Caleb back. This attitude is so prevalent in our society and reflects a lack of committment, which is really another word for love. I am glad though, as you have expressed that God loves us with an unconditional love that won't trash us when we mess up. Caleb is blessed to have you and your daughter in his life.

Chandra said...

I LOVE YOU, CALEB!!!! :O)

PS. Tell Keri to stop speeding on hwy 43!! I follow her almost every day!

Jolene Harris said...

Sis. Connell, I think I am more angered than hurt to think that someone would even have the nerve to express that thought out loud. You said it best. It is a lack of commitment which is another word for love in their own life that made them say this.

Thank you Lord for not trashing me when I mess up and sending me back to the miry clay. Thank you Jesus for not sending me back because I am not perfect after you had adopted me and given me your name which is above every name. Thank you for your UNCONDITIONAL LOVE.

Jolene Harris said...

Chandra, I know Caleb loves you. He has expressed that more than once. Thank you for being a wonderful Sunday School teacher to him.

As for Kerrie speading, thanks for the heads up. (and she says she doesn't speed) Be sure your sins will find you out. I will tell her. :D

Jolene Harris said...

Chandra, Kerrie just came in and said, you need to quit speeding also.:-D It seems that you were on her bumper all the way into town? Tell me, is this true? LOL! Two peas in a pod you two are. Let's see, you both remind me of someone else I know. Who is it now? I can't quite think of his name. It's right on the tip of my tongue but I just can't get it out. The initials are B.A.A. Oh, what is his name? (Tee hee hee hee)

Catherine Roseberry-Meyer said...

So sad that someone could think that way... but today, it's more about "me,me,me" and convenience. I understand about special grandsons, they challenge us, but their love is amazing. My Samuel gives us a hard time, a lot of times, but he is a special gift from God. Be blessed with you Caleb, you are a blessing to him.

Jolene Harris said...

Catherine, then you know what I am talking about. Their love is so genuine and so so pure. There is nothing more precious than when he comes up to me and crawls up in my lap and says "I love you grandma" and gives me a great big hug and snuggles up close and then falls a sleep in my lap. Those moments make everything worthwhile.

Mrs. Willman said...

Hi Jolene,

It appauls me that someone would attempt to devalue another human, especially a defenseless child. I hope this was not someone that professes to be a christian. What is the worth of a soul? How would Jesus answer that person? It breaks my heart, and yes, it angers me as well.

Have a great day!

As far as the speeding issue...who doesn't?

Jolene Harris said...

Willman, Unfortunately it was someone who professes to be a Christian that made this statement. I get angry everytime I think about it. I really have to pray and ask God to help me keep a Godly attitude so that when I see this individual I will not harbor ill feelings towards them. You never know what they may be going through that could have made them make such a comment. I will just continue to pray for them and hope that they will get a new outlook on the meaning of TRUE COMMITMENT AND LOVE OF GOD.

p.s. I guess we all speed but that still doesn't make it right now does it? :D

Jana Allard said...

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!? HOW STUPID CAN PEOPLE GET!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? You do know such people really get under my skin!!! Poor person. Did you give 'em a sign? "Here's yer sign!" Yes, there are rough days with Caleb, but if he wasn't in your family he may be suffering more abuse than he did as an infant. He will grow up and turn into a fine man. I believe and have faith. My faith is low, however, for any of these stupid people getting brains.

Jolene Harris said...

Sis. Allard, evidently they can get pretty stupid in order to make a comment like that.

We've often wondered how Caleb's life would have turned out if God had not have given him to us. Kerrie's job really does help her in being able to help Caleb. I do believe God placed Caleb in her home for a reason and we don't regret for one moment at all.

Unknown said...

Thank you for this beautiful post and for the introduction to Caleb. I hope to meet him in person sometime.

Your analogy is perfect, and strikes home in my heart. How thankful I am that God has never "sent me back."

Love and blessings,

Shirley Buxton
www.shirleybuxton.wordpress.com

Jolene Harris said...

Sis. Buxton, You would love talking to this little guy, especially if it is about science. He loves to be out doors checking the plants and the grass for bugs, snails, worms, spiders, and etc. Then he wants to put them under his microscope and check them out. He also loves to study sea creatures and the planets.