Sunday, April 13, 2008

More Than Conquerors

Armored Knight and Horse

"If you do not conquer self, you will be conquered by self." —Napoleon Hill

"What I don't understand about myself is that I decide one way, but then I act another, doing things I absolutely despise. So if I can't be trusted to figure out what is best for myself and then do it, it becomes obvious that God's command is necessary. But I need something more! For if I know the law but still can't keep it, and if the power of sin within me keeps sabotaging my best intentions, I obviously need help! I realize that I don't have what it takes. I can will it, but I can't do it. I decide to do good, but I don't really do it; I decide not to do bad, but then I do it anyway. My decisions, such as they are, don't result in actions. Something has gone wrong deep within me and gets the better of me every time." Romans 7:15-20 Message Bible

Our worst enemy is not the devil, it is not our brother, sister, neighbor, or someone we consider our enemy. Our worst enemy is self, the very person we see every morning when we look in the mirror.

The above scripture proves why it is so important to pray EVERYDAY. Paul said in 1 Corinthians 15:31; "... I die daily.

"We must die everyday because just like the bible says in Matthew 26:41; "Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."

"The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." James 5:16

Like the verse says above in the Message Bible Romans 7:17 "For if I know the law but still can't keep it, and if the power of sin within me keeps sabotaging my best intentions, I obviously need help! I realize that I don't have what it takes." This is so true! Within ourselves we don't have what it takes but there is hope! Acts 1:8; "But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you..." We have the power to over come and to remain over comers in Him IF we pray daily. We must die daily. We must conquer self! "...in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us." Romans 8:37

8 comments:

Jana Allard said...

Well, I'm trying to catch up on blog reading, and I feel like I have been to church again. You always have such great, thought provoking posts.

Jolene Harris said...

Thank you Sis Allard. When I read this quote I realized just how true it was. I also know that when I miss a day of prayer (for that has happened, shame on me) that that is a day that I have trouble with my flesh (self). It seems that everything about me just gets in the way of doing things right, like my attitude for one thing.

The wrong attitude can really lead a person down the wrong road and open many doors to a whole lot of trouble. Once this is done, you will find yourself doing many more things you never intended to do. It's just so much easier if one will just pray every day. Then you will have the strength to be a conqueror.

Carol Connell said...

Someone once said that a demonic spirit can be cast out, but the only way for a human spirit to be conquered is to crucify it. You are so right that we must die daily to our flesh, and prayer is one of those things that helps us to do that. We can be more than conquerors "through Him", but I don't believe that happens if we don't pray. Thank you for this great reminder. I love the picture of the knight too.

Jolene Harris said...

Sis Connell, I liked what you had to say about the demonic spirit and the human spirit. I never thought of that before but you are so right. We must crucify the flesh daily.

Rochelle said...

I'm with Jana... I have been catching up with blog reading and I love all this inspiration and motivation and conviction!! I have heard this quote before, but your thoughts on it made me appreciate it even more. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

You preach Sister! We are our own worst enemy. If the Apostle Paul couldn't keep his flesh under subjection, then how can I think I can do it without the power of the Holy Ghost within me? All the more reason why we need to stir up the gift in us and walk close to God. Thanks for a great message! Love you!

Jolene Harris said...

Rochelle, I don't know how you keep up with your busy schedule. You are so much like Jana Allard. I think you both are burning the candle at both ends yet you keep God in the center of that candle. I guess that is how you are able to manage isn't it?

Jolene Harris said...

Karen, Paul is one of my favorites in the New Testament. What an example he was! Stirring up the gift withn us, I like that. Crucify the flesh and stir up the gift of God within. Makes for a much happier day doesn't it?