Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Be Careful!



"The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close." Unknown


I was in another town the other day and I ran into an individual I had not seen in a while. Upon asking how they were doing, I do believe I opened up a can of worms. In less than five minutes this individual was like a mosquito, trying to suck the joy of life right out of me with their very negative attitude towards life and people. I quickly realized what was happening and politely told them that things would be better if they would just give it all to Jesus. I told them I loved them and that I would pray for them. I then encouraged them to talk to their pastor. This is not what they wanted to hear so I shook their hand and quickly departed.

These are the kind of people we do not need to let feast upon us. They will only suck the very life right out of us if we let them. Just like the mosquito, they will ever so gently land upon us with subtle words. When we least expect it, they bite and insert their poison. We need to guard our ears, eyes, mouths, hands, and feet if we want to make it for the Lord. Reminds me of a song I used to sing as a child:

Oh be careful little eyes what you see..
Oh be careful little ears what you hear...
Oh be careful little mouth what you speak...
Oh be careful little hands what you do...
Oh be careful little feet where you go...
For the Father up above is looking down in love...

There are many mosquitoes out there swarming around looking for someone to attack and suck the spiritual life right out of. Our adversary, the devil, will use friends, family, and yes, even people we go to church with to try and bring us down. 1Peter 5:8 reads: "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour."

If one does not bear the fruit of the Spirit, which is "love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance" (Galations 5:22-23) then beware. More than likely they are a mosquito in disguise waiting to attack.

We need to "Put on the whole armor of God so that you may be able to stand firm against the devil's strategies." Ephesians 6:11

What is that armor? Ephesians 6: 14-18 reads: "Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints."

If we do this, then no blood sucking mosquito can get to us and suck the very life right out of us. So put on your armor Saints and hold your sword in your hand. We must stand firm against the devils strategies in Jesus Name.

6 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

How true, your words. Sometimes I ask someone how they are doing before I think, and then wish I'd kept my mouth shut. There are people that a hug, a smile, or a handshake should be the limit of our involvement with them. Prayer is their only hope. Great post!

Faith Motivates Miracles! said...

Amen!! That was excellent. Like my pastor says if you dont have something nice to say, keep your mouth shut! I love it. We need our armor more than ever before.
Love you Sis,
Sis Noel

Jolene Harris said...

Karen, I know what you mean. You ask yourself, "Why did I go there?"

Jolene Harris said...

Sis. Noel, my mother use to tell me the same thing as your pastor said.

Your right about the armor. If we don't keep it on, then we will get biten when people so cleverly try to prey upon us with their words.

Jolene Harris said...

I agree with Sister Hopper!! :)
I think I have met a few mosquitoes like this...

The above comment was from Sis Rochelle. Somehow it was deleted and then I found it in my trash. I don't know how that happened but I copied it and pasted it back here. Sorry Rochelle.

Jolene Harris said...

Me too Rochelle. I have even had a few try to bite me with their nasty words. YUK!!!