Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Help! I'm Turning Into My Mother!



My niece sent me the following article via e-mail and I was quite intrigued by it.


http://www.ireport.com/ir-topic-stories.jspa?topicId=66453 (scroll down on this page and read what others have to say about resembling their mothers)

After reading these articles and more, I began to ponder on what these women were saying. I thought to myself, Lord, do my girls fear being like me? Are there things about my life that make them cringe to think, "OH NO! I"M TURNING OUT TO BE JUST LIKE MY MOM!" Do they harbor secret agitations about things that they find they have in common with me? Do they look in the mirror and ask "How did this happen?" or are they happy to say they are like me?

Oh I am sure there are some annoying little habits that they have picked up along the way that they wish they could have let slip by. However, I do hope and pray that I have lived a Holy and Godly life before them that they want to emulate more than anything else. I have tried to teach them that no matter what comes their way, and that no matter how hard the trial, how high the mountain, how wide the river, how deep the valley, or how dry the desert, God will see them through. I know I have not been perfect but I have told them that if and when they should fall don't stay down. Get up! By all means GET UP! Brush yourself off and go on. God is still on your side and He will see you through and sometimes even carry you through whatever battle you are facing.

I pray that my life has been what it should have been before the Lord. That whatever battles I have gone through, I was the kind of example I was suppose to be to my children, to show them that they too can make it. I want my children to be able to do as Proverbs 31:28 says; "Her children arise and call her blessed."

If my children must say "I'm Just Like My Mom" I want them to be proud of it in the Lord. I have been walking with the Lord for 29 years and 8 days now and I want my children to know that God has NEVER failed me yet. Though I have failed and made mistakes, He has never failed me. He is a faithful, just, and forgiving God. He is my FRIEND and He will be and do the same for you.

Kerrie, Kellie, and Mark, Proverbs 14:12 reads; "There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death." That is why David said in Psalm 119:11; "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee."

Do as it says in 2 Timothy 2:15 and "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

My precious children, hear me when I say obey Proverbs 23:23 which reads; "Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding." For John 8:32 says: "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

I love you, Mom

2 comments:

Rochelle said...

Your post always inspire me to be a better person. Thank you. I loved this. Thank you for sharing a piece of you... :) And thank God for moms.

Jolene Harris said...

Rochelle, I am finding that the older I get the more I look like my mother. Every once in awhile I will do something and my girls, son, or my neice will say "GRANDMA! That was just like grandma."

About a month before my mother passed she expressed to my girls that her biggest fear of death was that she would be forgotten and no one would remember or think of her anymore. No fear of that! I see her resemblance even in my girls and nieces in the way they stand, sit, smile, and comments they make. She is definitely in everyone of her children (boys and girls). No she won't be forgotten as long as we are alive. She instilled something within us about her we won't forget. her ways, her mannerisms, Her LOVE!

That is what we must do for our children where God is concerned. We must instill the things of God in our children that they won't forget. His ways, his mannerisms, HIS LOVE!

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

I love you sis, and you inspire me too. More than you know. God bless.