Wednesday, September 26, 2007

My Little Scientist

Let's get a closer look








My grandson just turned 6 years old two
weeks ago. He claims he wants to be a scientist when he grows up. I believe he would make a good one. Caleb loves to study sea creatures, dinosaurs, all reptiles especially snakes, wild animals, and every kind of insect you can imagine. He also loves to study the stars and all the planets. For Christmas last year he received a telescope, microscope and a Star Theater 2/Space Projector. He loves going to museums, the zoo, and to see the animals and exhibits at the fair, and science fairs. I believe the science fair is his favorite.

Tether Ball Anyone?












Hey, Cool ball!!!




This child will come up to me at times and say "Grandma, did you know such and such?" and I will look and him and wonder where in the world did he learn that? He is usually correct in his observations as well. When I ask him where he learned these things his response is, "Duh! I have a brain grandma, I know how to use it and I can figure these things out." I just look at him and feel like saying , Well excuse me for asking! But instead I smile and say, "That's good Caleb. It is good to think and use your brain." I caught him eating in his room one day and I told him, "Caleb, you can't be eating in your room like this or you're going to get bugs in here" and he replied, "That's OK grandma, I collect bugs. It will be easier to catch them that way." What ever am I to do with this boy?

Mom, Look At This!













The itzy bitzy spider, Hee hee hee !!!


Caleb is always asking me to let him go to Alice's blog. He just loves the critters that she writes about. Whenever she post something new he gets so excited. I must say though that it takes us on a journey online to do more research on whatever her topic is about. I can hardly wait until he gets in from school today to see what she has posted to her site now. Though I am not excited about her topic, for I hate spiders, I know he will be ecstatic.

Petting the Stingray









Feeding the Giraffe



My prayer is that one day he will develop a love for God and a desire to study the word of God as he does his science projects. I pray that he develops a hunger to know more and more about the word of God and God himself as he does for the creations of God. I tell him, "You know Caleb, God created the snakes,bugs, snails, and spiders that you find so fascinating or the stars that you love to study, and etc. etc.


And now for some lava.









And there she blows!!!



Somehow I hope to put a hunger for God and a knowledge of God in his little heart, so that if he does grow to be a scientist, he will understand who the Creator is of all the wonderful things he loves to study. There is nothing wrong with being a scientist. I just want to make sure he understands who the Creator is and then he will really appreciate the fullness of creation and Creator alike.


Get that snail out of my house and go wash your hands ten times with warm soapy water and then some. RIGHT NOW!!!!

10 comments:

Jana Allard said...

And he's only 6? 7? You have a lot more coming your way. Snails aren't anything. LOL This post is too cute.

Jolene Harris said...

Sis. Allard, He just turned 6. Some of the pictures are of Caleb at the Discovery Museum in Eureka when He was 4. We were there for two weeks and he wanted to go there everyday. The rest of the pics are when he was 5. Yes, I am afraid I am in for a lot more. Pray for me. I never know what he will come up with next. He has such an inquisitive mind for such a young age.

In Kindergarten last year for homework, the students were given a choice of either sticking their hand in a Kix cereal box to see how many kix they could pull out in one hand or see how many marbles they could put in a baggy or make a volcano. I will give you three guesses to figure out what Caleb chose to do.

Anonymous said...

What a smart little boy! He seems advanced for his years. I love the pictures and the post. I remember my husband built a volcano in 6th grade for a science project. He took it to school to demonstrate, and it blew up in the school office. What a mess! My father-in-law sent us that volcano when our son Jeremy was little. He and my husband lit it and it was pretty awesome! Jeremy is 25, but he has always had a scientific mind too. There are some things he knows that I wonder where he learned them from. It's amazing huh? Happy birthday to Caleb!

Jolene Harris said...

Karen, I got a good laugh at just the thought of that volcano blowing up. I'm sorry ;( Couldn't help myself. Sure would have loved to have been a fly on the wall that day.

Yes Caleb is pretty smart for his age (sometimes to smart for his britches if you know what I mean) It is a pleasure to be a grandma to such an exceptional little guy. I will tell him you said Happy Birthday. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Jolene:

Glad you had a good laugh. I laughed too when my husband told me about the volcano spewing. Since Caleb likes science, he might like the picture I just posted on my blog about balance. It's a pretty cool experiment that our son Jeremy did for his Sunday school class a few months ago.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jolene,

I didn't see your post until after I had done my last one. I guess we were kind of on the same wavelength. One of the moms in our homeschool group is a consultant for Usborne books. Through her, I purchased the Usborne Internet Linked Science Encyclopedia. The book is really great, because you can go on the web to Usborne's quick links and find additional experiments, games, etc. that deal with the subject you are studying. Caleb would probably eat it up. It might make a good future birthday or Christmas present. :-) Happy Belated Birthday, Caleb!

Jolene Harris said...

Karen, I just paid a visit to your site and I will definitely take Caleb there and let him check it out. I know that means I will have to do this with him but hey, what else are grandma's for?

Thanks for sharing this with me. I am always interested in anything that will keep his little mind intertained.

Jolene Harris said...

Carol, Thanks for the info. I will definitely check into getting that book for Caleb for Christmas. He is already making his list for more science books and slides for his microscope.

Isn't it fun to work with our children/grandchildren in this manner. We better keep them focused and develop their minds while we have a chance because if we don't the world sure will take a stab at it and what a mess it will make of them.

Alice said...

You have a great guy on your hands. I love it when kids are interested in science. Of course that was one of my favorite subjects. He reminds me of myself, but my proverbial question was always "why does this happen?" and "why is that like it is?" I think I put my parents to the test by always asking for a pony for my birthday. I just couldn't understand why we couldn't keep the pony on our porch. LOL. Give Caleb a happy birthday hug from me! And tell him to keep seaching the web, and I'll try to get somemore interseting subjects on my blog!

Jolene Harris said...

Alice, he is definitely quite a character. But he has his moments as to when you wonder if he is the same sweet child that was sleeping in bed the night before if you know what I mean.

I can guarantee you that he will be waiting for something new to be posted to your site. When I picked him up from school today he wanted to look up headlice on the net. Of all things. He said they were talking about it at school and he wanted to know what they looked like. So I guess you know how I spent my afternoon until his mother came in from work and took him home. I was scratching my head for about 3 hours afterwards. YUK!!!!