Sunday, September 30, 2007

Sit On Your Anger

When you are angry with someone, it helps to sit down and think about the problem.

When I received this email I thought it was so cute . But the more I looked at it and thought on it, the more my mind pondered on the following scriptures:

Ecclesiastes 7:9; "Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools." KJV

Proverbs 12:16; "Fools have short fuses and explode all too quickly; the prudent quietly shrug off insults.: Message Bible

Proverbs 14:17; "The hotheaded do things they'll later regret; the coldhearted get the cold shoulder." Message Bible

Proverbs 14;29; "Slowness to anger makes for deep understanding; a quick-tempered person stockpiles stupidity." Message Bible

Proverbs 19:19; "Let angry people endure the backlash of their own anger; if you try to make it better, you'll only make it worse." Message Bible

Proverbs 22:24-25; "Don't hang out with angry people; don't keep company with hotheads. Bad temper is contagious - don't get infected." Message Bible

Proverbs 15:18; "Hot tempers start fights; a calm, cool spirit keeps the peace." Message Bible

Proverbs 29:22; "Angry people stir up a lot of discord; the intemperate stir up trouble." Message Bible

Proverbs 16:32; "He that is slow to anger is better than the mighty; and he that ruleth his spirit than he that taketh a city." KJV

Unlike the dog in the picture, who is sitting on the cat, whom he is angry with, we need to sit on our anger before our anger gets out of control. If our anger gets our of control then it causes us and those around us a lot of heartache and trouble.

The above scriptures speak about those who can and cannot control their anger. I want to be like those who can control their anger. Not noted as one who stirs up a lot of discord and trouble. I don't want to be pegged as a person who stockpiles stupidity. Please God, do not let me be known as a hotheaded, contagious, and infectious person.

Lord help me to have a cool spirit that keeps the peace. Matthew 5:9: "Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." (KJV) I want to be slow to anger so I can make for deep understanding. Help me to be prudent and quietly shrug off insults. After all insults are only words spoken by people who have a low self esteem and the only way they can feel good about themselves is to put others down.

I must make sure that my life is where it should be in God so that if I do get angry I will do what it says in Ephesians 4:26; "Be ye angry and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:" ( KJV ) I want to make sure that I make and keep things right with my brother and sister in the Lord and even my family and my God.

Yes, anger can be very destructive. We must learn how to control it or it will destroy us. So when you get angry because you feel that you have been done wrong, don't worry about getting even. Just remember this, "Vengeance Is Mine, I Will Repay Sayeth The Lord" Romans 12:19 (KJV) Leave everything in the hands of God and keep the right attitude. Don't let your anger cause you to lose out with God. It's not worth it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post Jolene! I heard a saying once that goes, "Anger is one letter short of danger." So true.

Alice said...

I rightfully agree, and the pic made me laugh! Not to often you see a dog sitting on a cat, but prefect for this post.

Jolene Harris said...

Karen, I like that. I will keep that in mind and use it when I see a loved one who needs to calm down and control their anger. I might even need to remind myself of that a time or two. You never know, after all, I am flesh. Thanks.

Jolene Harris said...

Alice, I knew you would like this pic being the animal lover that you are. I got a good laugh out of it myself. Does go well with the thought doesn't it?

Jana Allard said...

So is this where the saying "Sit on it," came from? LOL

Jolene Harris said...

Could be Sis. Allard, Very well could be. You just never know now do you? :-)

Yvonne said...

Very good post Aunt Jo Jo! Do me a huuugggeeee favor would ya?? Check out my latest coupld of blog entries and pray with me about the prayer request I posted in my last blog. . .LOVE YOU BUNCHES AND BUNCHES!!!!

Jolene Harris said...

I will pray with you Yvonne,
I love you too