Thursday, September 20, 2007

Spiritual Whac-A-Mole


Have you ever had to deal with your flesh? Does self ever get in your way? Well every once in awhile I find that self will try to stick up it's ugly head and butt in where she does not belong. OK, so I am human!

I was talking to my sister this past week and I was questioning a situation and asking why? That's right, poor little ol' me was complaining, and I must say, I was doing a mighty fine job too. Can you believe that? My flesh stepped right in and showed it's big ugly face and spoke right up.

After talking with my sister, which is good, for we are a sounding board for each other, I sat back and ran everything through my head on instant replay. I thought on her words of encouragement and her "Now - Now's". Then I thought on how I had been feeling and the children's game, Whac-A-Mole came to my mind. I'm sure most of you are familiar how the game goes. Well, that is what my flesh reminded me of at that moment, that little pesky mole in the game, jumping around on the board of life, sticking her ugly head out, annoyingly, in different little areas of my life. I have been thinking on it the past three days now.

In 1 Corinthians 15:31 Paul said, "... I die daily." That is what I must do. If I don't die daily, then self will raise up it's ugly head. It will start voicing it's ugly opinion. It will start making comments, asking Why? Then before I know it, I will start having problems and they will mainly be with SELF! So what is the solution here? It is time to play Spiritual Whac-A-Mole!!! Grab the sledge hammer, which is the word of God. Every time self sticks it's ugly face out of the hole it was buried in, come down hard and hammer away with the word of God. Kill self once again and put it back down. Yes, we must die daily.

It doesn't matter why things happen the way they do. God has everything under control and that is all I need to know. He has done to much for me to start asking questions now. So if you will please excuse me, I need to go take care of some serious Spiritual Whac-A-Mole business . I am in need of an attitude adjustment. I must go and beat the life out of my carnal man once again in word and prayer so my spiritual man can live as she should. :)

You have a great evening in the Lord!

2 comments:

Jana Allard said...

WOW! What a sermon. The world could be a better place if everyone were able to control "self."

Jolene Harris said...

Sis. Allard, Let me tell you that the day I posted this I literally had to beat self to death. I must say I did it with a vengeance as well. At that point it was kill self or self could have possibly caused me some serious problems and that is the last thing I need right now is problems with self.

I, like Paul, must die daily and I must remind myself of that everyday.