Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Being Spiteful - Who Does It Really Hurt?

The hair from your last haircut ... what would it say about your new style?


First, let me clarify that my last haircut was in May 1979 before God came into my life. Ohhhhhhh this question makes me want to split a gut. You talk about precious memories. How they linger.


An individual and I had an argument over this last hair cut and I was told that there was one thing I had better never do. Never dye my red hair a different color. Well, that just made my blood boil. I thought to myself, "Just who in the world do you think you are to tell me what I can and cannot do. I am over 21 and I'll do what I stinking well please! Besides you're not my boss!" So as soon as he left I proceeded to call up my friend and said, "Hey Cid, I was thinking about bleaching my hair blonde, what do you think, can you do it?" Her response was, "Sure, you would make a great looking blonde. Let's go for it!" Oh what a friend! See, Cindy was the one who cut my hair for me in the first place. So off to the store we went to buy the supplies to make me a knock out blonde.

We went back to my place, read all the directions and proceeded the process of bleaching my hair. I noticed as she was doing my hair she had this worried look on her face and I kept asking her what was wrong and she would just shake her head as if it were nothing. Then finally, she blowed my hair dry and Whoala! It was finished. She stepped back for me to take a look and I was excited and couldn't wait to see myself as a blonde but sudden panic took place. Instead of a beautiful knockout blonde I was a puky army green haired freak! I proceeded to grab my head and scream at the top of my lungs "What in the world have you done to my hair?" She swore up and down that she followed all the steps accordingly. I kept crying, "What have you done? What am I going to do?" over and over again. After much hand wringing, floor pacing and much tear shedding, Cid was finally able to calm me down. She convinced me that we could fix this. We just needed to get more supplies to re-do the job. So out came the bandana, wrapping it securely around my head, making sure all hair was tucked underneath, on went the sunglasses, to hide my identity, and off we went to the store to buy more ingredients to give it another try. It took us three more attempts to tone down the green machine so that I would not be that conspicuous in public.

Did I ever become a gorgeous blonde? Nope! Not even close. Just a dull, dingy, dishwater brown haired chick with a tinge of green. Will I ever dye my hair again? Well, obviously, since I am living for God, the answer is no. I don't believe that I would do it again,even if I had not been blessed to have God come into my life. Not after that experience. Nope, don't think so. I don't care what they are doing to their hair today.

The hair from my last haircut...what would it say about my new hairstyle? In my case, I think it plainly states that I cut off my nose to spite my face. While in trying to prove to someone else that they can't tell me what to do, I'm the one who had to pay the price for rebellion. Did the individual whom I dyed my hair out of spite for in the first place get upset? Not even. When he came over and saw what I had done to my hair, he laughed so hard he had tears rolling down his face. He showed up in the middle of the second attempt to correct the mistake. Please believe me when I tell you that it does not pay to be spiteful.

P.S. I learned that a lady should keep her best friend away from her hair especially if she has a pair of scissors or hair coloring in her possession. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEHE!!! Stop.... my stomach muscles are hurting....

Mom,

Now I know why you never shared this story with me before... ahahah!!! hehehe!!! snicker... eyes watering...snort..snort...oh my... I wish I was there...giggle

I have done some wild & crazy things, but LOL, none quite this funny.

Your daughter who can't stop laughing,
Kellie

Jolene Harris said...

Uuuummmmm, actually, you were there. Thank God you were to young to remember. You were only 3 years old. It was in May of 1979 and I got in church August 1979. By then most of the green had washed out. I know in my blog I put precious memories but to be honest, it is more like unforgetable nightmares. It wasn't so funny then but it is quite hilarious today isn't it? Yeah baby girl, your momma has done some pretty stupid things in her days. Thank God for the blood!!!

By the way, you remind me of someone else who got such a laugh at my expense. Hmmm, I wonder who it could be?

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a hoot! I have a friend who is blonde, and years ago, she decided to use this henna shampoo. It claimed to bring out the natural highlights in your hair. After she washed her hair with it, upon looking in the mirror, her hair was also a pukey green color! And to top that off, it was April Fools Day! She ended up having to go to the store and buy hair dye to get her hair back to its natural color. With all the bad stuff I have heard about how hair dye may cause cancer and different diseases, I'm glad I don't dye my hair as I'm sure you are! Thanks for the laugh!
Karen

Jolene Harris said...

Karen, I'm glad I was able to bring some laughter to your day. My daughter, as you can read above, seems to have gotten quite a laugh out of this story as well. You know, 28 years ago, that experience was such a dramatic moment in my life (so I thought). Today, I look back and get side splitting laughter out of the situation.

Psalms 30:5 "Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning".

Anonymous said...

Good evening, Jolene. What a funny story--well told--well written. Your blog is very nicely done.

Blessings,

shirley Buxton
www.shirleybuxton.wordpress.com

Jolene Harris said...

Sis. Buxton, glad you enjoyed the story of my experience as a green haired lady. I'm just glad it was short lived. As for your compliment on my blog, it is much appreciated, especially coming from such a great lady as yourself.

May God's blessing overflow in your life