Monday, July 23, 2007

Standing In The Gap






Chihuahua vs. rattlesnake
Zoey, a Chihuahua puppy, saved a toddler from an angry rattlesnake.

Tiny dog saves baby from rattlesnake
Mon Jul 23, 7:56 AM ET

MASONVILLE, Colo. - Zoey is a Chihuahua, but when a rattlesnake lunged at her owners' 1-year-old grandson, she was a real bulldog.

Booker West was splashing his hands in a birdbath in his grandparents' northern Colorado back yard when the snake slithered up to the toddler, rattled and struck. Five-pound Zoey jumped in the way and took the bites.
"She got in between Booker and the snake, and that's when I heard her yipe," said Monty Long, the boy's grandfather.
The dog required treatment and for a time it appeared she might not survive. Now she prances about.
"These little bitty dogs, they just don't really get credit," Booker's grandma Denise Long told the Loveland Daily Reporter-Herald.

When I read this story, it reminded me of how God stepped in and took the blows of sin for me at Calvary. It appeared that God wasn't going to survive those vicious blows of sin just like it appeared as though little 5 pound Zoey wasn't going to make it after taking the vicious poisonious strike of the rattler. But just as Zoey prances about today, My God Lives! Yes, He did die and go to the grave, but just long enough to make a trip to the pits of hell and recover the keys to death and the grave, then He arose again to continue to fight the battle against satan for me. My God continues to step into the gap and protect me from the fiery darts that satan throws my way even today.

From what I can tell from the article above, Zoey seems to be a gentle and loving dog. But I can tell you from first hand experience that I personally know that my God is a gentle and loving God.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." Matthew 11:28

But just like Zoey, Woe unto those who try to harm God's children for the bulldog in Him will come out. God will step into the gap when satan attacks if we will but stay faithful to Him.

PSALMS 91: 1-3
1. He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
3. Surely he shall deliver thee...

If you find you have some spare time on your hands, then read the entire chapter of Psalms 91. It makes for good reading.

God bless you all!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom,

You have some wonderful thoughts/ideas. I am glad that you have taken the time to put together this blog.

I wanted to let you know that this little dog story reminds me so very much of you. So many countless times you go out of your way to protect your children/grandchildren. You try to take away all of our hurt and sorrow, regardless how much of it we bring upon ourselves.

Mom, you are the greatest inspiration in my life. Thank you for your spiritual walk with God and living the life of a "Godly Woman"

I love you,
Kellie

Jolene Harris said...

Kellie, you have just made me cry. But remember one thing, as much as I love you and as much as I can possibly ever do for you,, God loves you much more and will do more for you than I could ever do.
Love, Mom

Yvonne said...

All this spiritualness is gonna make me hurl! No I'm just teasing you. I loved this thought I think it has been my favorite so far.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jolene,

I enjoyed reading the story of Zoey and how you related it to Jesus Christ taking the blows for us on Calvary. He truly is a wonderful Saviour, and I'm so thankful to have Him living inside of me! God bless you.

Carol Connell

p.s. What your daughter said about you is beautiful. (Proverbs 31:28)

Jolene Harris said...

Bonzi, I know you are just kidding because you have come up with some pretty awesome thoughts yourself. Besides that you were one of the best Bible Quizzers we ever had.
I love you, you crazy girl. Are you sure you want to be a lawyer?
Love, Aunt Jolene

Jolene Harris said...

Carol, yes He is a wonderful Saviour. Thanks for the comment about what my daughter had to say and the scripture. You know, there is nothing more rewarding than when my children tell me something like this. It truly lifts my spirit. God bless you and do stop by again.

Jana Allard said...

Hey, my dear friend, you are really going on your blog! I just escaped camp for a few minutes and, with my brother-in-law-s internet account, I was able to check my mail. I don't know how often I will be able to do this, but I wanted you to know that I think your blog is great. You always have such great thoughts. I love you!

Jolene Harris said...

Sis. Allard, I'm glad you were able to make an escape long enough to drop by. Hope you are enjoying all that cool weather and that Pastor is being a good boy and keeping his arm in a stable position. Love and miss you guys.