Sunday, August 26, 2007

If Your Knees Are Knocking








If your knees are knocking, kneel on them.
Unknown

When I read this quote it reminded me of two types of fear mentioned in the bible. One is harmful to us as a Christian. It is the spirit of fear. We are all attacked by fear at some point in our life. This fear grips our hearts and our minds. That is why it is so important to not only know who God is but to know God personally. We also need to know His word and to hide it in our hearts so that when fear tries to come upon us and tries to consume us, we will be able to use God's word against the fear that the devil is trying to destroy us with. Isaiah 41:10 reads, “Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”

When we make up our mind to serve God, it will not matter what the devil throws our way. Satan will not be able to overcome us with fear. “Then said he unto me, Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words.” Daniel 10:12

In Psalms 56:11 it says “In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me.” We need not to give in to fear. This will only give the devil power over us. We must learn to be like Job and the three Hebrew children. Job said "Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him:..." (Job 13:15) and the three Hebrew children said in Daniel 3:17-18, "...Our God whom we serve is able to delive us from the burning fiery furnance, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. But if not. be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up." They refused to give in to even the fear of death.

The second fear is valuable to us as a Christian. “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.” Psalms 111:10. “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.” Proverbs 1:7. “In the fear of the LORD is strong confidence: and his children shall have a place of refuge. The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.” Proverbs 14:26-27.

We have no need to be afraid. Roman 8:31 "... If God be for us, who can be against us ?" Psalms 27:1 "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Remember, “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” 2 Timothy 1:7

4 comments:

Alice said...

I have to remind my daughter when she is scared that "Fear is not of the Lord" but you illistrated very well the difference between "Fear of the Lord" VS the devil. Great post.
Alice

Jolene Harris said...

Alice, I had to learn the differnce myself. The spirit of fear is plain frightning and causes anxiety, and apprehension, and it makes one to be sore afraid. But when you have and understand the the true meaning of the fear of the Lord then you will become in Awe of Him and reverence Him for all that He is and will be in your life. Once you understand that, then the Fear of the Lord will conquer the spirit of fear every time.

Just keep reminding your daughter and she will soon understand and know that as long as she has God she has no need to fear.

Jana Allard said...

I wish my mom and sister would learn this lesson. LOL It is a terrible thing to have so much fear. People who cannot sem to conquer fear, need to remind themselves daily that God did not give that to them.

Jolene Harris said...

I know exactly what you mean Sis Allard, for there was a time in my life that I was once struggled with the spirit of fear. Once I understood where it really came from and the difference between the two, only then was I able to conquer that fear.

Thank God for a Pastor who preaches and teaches the word of God so that I can learn and understand and grow in the Lord.