Saturday, August 11, 2007

Silly Question & Soul Searching

Ok folks, here’s a question just for fun: Can you breathe out of your nose and mouth at the same time? Well, I can’t! That’s right, I actually tried it. I ran across this question and the next thing I knew I was sitting here trying to conquer this feat and I could not do it. Yep, I found some time to myself and here I am doing silly things like this. I just tweaked, snapped, flipped out, and went swoosh - right on over the edge. Maybe it’s not good for grandma to be home alone, you think?

But this silly question brought to my mind the questions in James 3:11-12 “Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter? Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.”

In Matthew 6: 24 it reads “No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.”

So even in my state of folly, some reasoning came to my mind and I ask the following questions:
A) Who is your master?
B) What flows from you, a bitter or sweet spirit?
C) What is the source of the fruit that you bear?

We are told that we need to have a physical every now and then to make sure that all is well with our bodies. We need to make sure that the heart is pumping right and the blood pressure is at the right level. We need to have our eyes examined to make sure we see correctly and our hearing checked to make sure we hear properly and so on. So it is with our spiritual body. We need to take time to do some soul searching every now and then to make sure that all is well with our soul. David cried, “Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; And see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way” (Psalm 139:23-24).

What started out as a few moments of silliness ended up in some precious soul searching moments with God. I always feel better after I have spent some time with my God making sure that all is well with my soul. So, after you have spent some time in making sure that everything is A-OK between you and God, then please humor me and let me know, can you breathe through your nose and mouth at the same time? :-0

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jolene, I know it's more important that I tell you I frequently check out my soul to assure that everything is still okay with God and me.

But tonight, I am eager to tell you that I have a talent that you evidently do not; I can breath through my nose and my mouth at the same time! Quite proud, for I am known for my lack of physical prowess and accomplishment. I've never had occasion to check for such skill before...so who knows, maybe I have other undiscovered talents. I'll let you know.

Jolene Harris said...

Oh Sis. Buxton you do humor me. You know my daughter has this fantastic talent as well. Don't know what happened to me. I do great at decorating bulletin boards and Sunday School walls but can't conquer this minute feat. Go figure! :(

Jana Allard said...

Jolene - you never cease to amaze me with your thoughts. It makes me feel good to know you keep your mind stayed on Jesus. I love you.
By the way, I could breathe out of my nose and mouth, but that is weird. LOL

Jolene Harris said...

Sis Allard, I am so glad that you are among those who are blessed with this great talent. But I must say it sure makes me feel all alone out here on the sidelines unable to conquer this task. (sniffle, sniffle, tear, tear, sniffle.) But I will pull myself up by my boot straps and go insearch of a talent that I can conquer that I can be proud of. I guess we all can't be the nose or the mouth now can we? ;) (giggle, giggle)