Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Seeking Advice

If you are going to take up your pastor's and pastor's wife's time in seeking their advice about a situation then make sure that you have prayed before doing so. Why? you may ask. So that when you go in to talk to them, you will have an open mind, heart, and spirit. Then you will be ready to hear and receive the advice from the man of God and his wife that you need for the situation that you are facing in your life. If you are not going to be willing to accept what it is they are going to tell you (whether you like what they have to say or not, because sometimes it is a tough pill to swallow) then don't bother wasting their time or yours. I have found that if I pray before counseling, I can swallow that bitter pill much easier with the spirit of God than if I try to swallow it with a carnal attitude. Yes, with a carnal attitude I must say it gets lodged in my throat and just won't go down and becomes very bitter and causes spiritual heartburn.

Pastor and Sis Brain Allard, I love you both very much. Your words of wisdom mean a lot to me. Sis Allard, you really asked me a lot of questions last night that made me stop and think, REALLY think. Thank you! There was one comment you made about one situation that I was not surprised you said because God already told me the same thing so I knew it was coming. Pastor, you spoke the very words my neurologist told me about another situation. Another confirmation. Yes, I must make some changes.

This is Pastor Appreciation Month and we have already had an appreciation get together at church for you and your family pastor, but sometimes I feel it is so little in comparison to all that you and your family have done for us. I said your family because every time you or Sis Allard has to counsel, visit someone in the hospital, do a funeral, wedding, or whatever for one of us in the church, your children have to give you up to us for that time period. They sacrifice their parents, so that we can have your service for that time frame that by all rights, should be theirs. I will never be able to put in to words just how much I love and appreciate you and your family.

Ephesians 4:11-12; "And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ."

I found the following below when I was reading somewhere and I copied it and saved it because I thought it was good. I can't remember where I got it but I do want to share it with you.

The ministry of a pastor is one of the five-fold ministry gifts to the church:

A Pastor will be one whose voice the sheep recognize through an inner spiritual sense.

A Pastor will be sensitive to the sheep, “sit where they sit” and identify with them.

A Pastor will “call his sheep by name,” having personal contact with them.

A Pastor will lead the sheep into fresh pastures of the Word which he searches out.

A Pastor goes before the sheep as a leader and they are happy to follow him. They know he will not lead them astray, because he leads by example in attitude, word and lifestyle.

A Pastor rules the sheep with love, not with force or cruelty. They naturally return his love.

A Pastor is willing to stay with the sheep when he sees the wolf coming.

A Pastor is always on the alert for “other sheep” to bring into the fold.

A Pastor recognizes that there is only “one fold,” and that his flock is just part of that fold.

A Pastor recognizes that the sheep are not his, but they belong to the Chief Shepherd.

A Pastor ministers healing to the flock, seeking out the lost and binding up the broken.

A Pastor uses the rod (correction) and the staff (direction) to lead his sheep.

A Pastor protects the sheep from their enemies – and sometimes from themselves.

Hebrews 13:7 reads "Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves:for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you".

We need a Pastor and I thank God for mine and his family.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post, Jolene. I've had to swallow some of those "bitter pills" a few times, but I'm glad that I did for I found in those instances that my pastor knew what he was talking about. I'm glad that both you and I are blessed with good pastors.

Jolene Harris said...

Indeed we are Carol. I would hate to think of where I would be today if it had not been for a man of God to give me Godly counsel and help guide me in the right direction. Some people think they don't need a pastor to be saved. Me, I need a pastor and am not ashamed to admit it.

Jolene Harris said...

By the way Carol, thanks for the info on the science website. Caleb and I are looking forward to checking it out. Thanks also for your continued prayers. I am believing God for a miracle. Today was a good day.

Jana Allard said...

Jolene - thanks for your kind words. I only wish we were half as good as you say we are. We love you dearly and are so proud of you. God is so good.

Jolene Harris said...

Sis. Allard, You know how people rate movies, hotels, books, etc? This one is rated 3 stars or this one is a 2 star, this one is 4 star rated and so on. Well, You and Pastor in my books are 5 STAR RATED!!! In my opinion, you're the best and that's all that really counts. :D