Monday, October 8, 2007

"Life With A BrainTumor"


Back in August I posted a blog "IF YOUR KNEES ARE KNOCKING".
It was about the two types of fear talked about in the bible. One being the Spirit of Fear and the second is the Fear of the Lord.

Before that, I posted a blog about "HOW WILL YOU RESPOND?"
This being about two big forces at work in our lives, external and internal. We have very little control over external forces... (such as tornados, earthquakes, floods, disasters, illness and pain.) What really matters is the internal force. How do I respond to those disasters? Over that I have complete control. (by Leo Buscaglia)

Since then, 11 days ago, on September 27, 2007, I was informed by my neurologist that I have a brain tumor located in my left frontal lobe on the area that controls my speech and word processing. I was told that it was the size of the upper part of my thumb.

I went to the doctor by myself to get my results because I really felt that they were negative. So when the doctor told me the news I almost fell out of my chair. I told him "YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING!" I just sat there without moving and very calmly looked at my doctor. But within I felt as though I had fallen overboard from a ship deep into the ocean and the waves were crashing around me and I was being sucked under and I couldn't breathe. I could not get back to the surface in order to get air. Then I felt numb all over. My head was ringing and I lost all sense of direction. I told myself this can not be happening. I could see the doctor's lips moving but I could not hear a word he was saying. All I remember was that he told me I needed to see a Neurosurgeon and that they would make me an appointment.

I left his office in a daze. I stood outside but I can't remember for how long. Then I knew I needed to talk to someone and the first person I contacted was my Pastor's wife. You might be asking why not your husband or your children, or even your pastor? I don't know why. All I know is that when I grabbed my phone it was Sis Jana Allard that I was led to for strength at that moment and I thank God for her because she has been there for me from that moment on. What a blessing she is in my life. She doesn't pity me but she encourages me and helps me to regain my strength in the Lord and that is what I need more than anything. When I begin to feel a moment of panic arise I send her a text message and she will respond and I know on my behalf she sends up a word of prayer with me and I am immediately strengthened in the Lord. THE SPIRIT OF FEAR DOES NOT BELONG IN MY LIFE AS A CHILD OF GOD!!!

I went to Sunday morning and evening service as though nothing was wrong. But by Monday night prayer I was desperate for a touch from God. Sis Allard came up to me two or three times and made a couple of comments to me and then she asked if it was OK to tell the church and I said yes. So pastor told the church about my tumor and immediately they surrounded me and prayed for a miracle on my behalf. Sis. Allard made the comment to everyone about the size of my tumor being a bite size and she said that every time we sat down to eat that we were to claim in Jesus name as we ate that we were eating that tumor away and it was going to shrink. I must admit that I was strengthened after the church prayed for me. Thank God for my church family.

I’m So Glad I’m A Part Of The Family Of God;
I’ve Been Washed In The Fountain,
Cleansed By His Blood!
Joint Heirs With Jesus As We Travel This Sod,
I’m So Glad I’m Apart Of The Family Of God.

I saw the surgeon this past Friday, on October 5th. I was informed that my tumor is definitely not cancer PRAISE GOD!!! It is also the size of my upper pinky finger and not my thumb. To God be the glory. It is smaller than we thought. So at this time there will be no surgery. The surgeon said that the neurologist will be keeping a close eye on me and that I will have another MRI in February. If the tumor has not grown to much then there will be another MRI in June. If it has grown considerably, then I will be looking at brain surgery sometime in the near future. He did tell me that though it is not cancer we do need to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't grow any larger because if it does it will begin to put to much pressure on the brain and can cause serious complications. But as for now it is best to leave it alone.

My request is that you will join my church and I in prayer that God will heal me of this tumor. I know that God can heal me but if I have to have surgery, then I ask that you pray that the hands of the surgeon will be guided by God.

I know that Satan hath desired to sift me as wheat. Luke 22: 31) I must understand that my strength lies in the power of God. (Eph 6:10) and I must be strong in the Lord, and in the strength of his might. I Know that the battlefield is in the mind. I must put on the armor of God in my mind as Paul instructs me in 2Corinthians 10:4-5 ("For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;"

Tumor or no tumor, there is still work to do for the Lord. I cannot be overcome by the spirit of fear. I MUST stay strong in Him. I must remember that: "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? (Psalms 27:1) “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” (2 Timothy 1:7) The only fear I will allow in my life is what I found in Psalms 86:11; "I'll will worship in joyful fear." (Message Bible)

28 comments:

Jana Allard said...

My faith is strong and I believe that God is going to take excellent care of you. Years ago, Ray Brown preached a message about there are some things you can live with. He said he could live with his house burning down, his car being destroyed, etc. However, he said he didn't know if he could live if he were told his son had a terminal illness. Not long after preaching this message, he was informed that his son had a very serious illness. Even so, he got to enjoy over 20 years with his son. Somehow, Ray Brown realized he could live with it, has lived with it, and realized there is a peace that passeth all understanding. You, my dear friend, can LIVE with a brain tumor. I have that much faith.

Jolene Harris said...

Sis Allard, you are so right. Philippians 4:13; "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Even LIVE with a brain tumor.

This was in my mail box when I opened it this morning: "It's choice - not chance - that determines your destiny." Jean Nidetch

Well, I choose to live a VICTORIOUS life in Christ even with a tumor. Yes, Victory in Jesus is my destiny.

Anonymous said...

Sis Mendoza,
I have visited your blog a number of times and enjoy it very much. Please know that our prayers are with you. Thank you for showing us babies in Christ that we can go through anything in this life as long as we stand strong on His word and the support of our church families.

DeadMule said...

Hi Jolene, I'm an internet friend of Jana's (I knew to come here by reading about you on her blog). You will be in my prayers. Of course, you want the Lord to heal you. And He can do that; He healed my brother of a rare form of cancer. But He may not, and we will never knew why one person is healed and another is not. I think it has to do with what will build the kingdom of heaven in a greater way, but that's just a guess. So I will pray, Thy will be done and that your faith will grow as you learn to live with this situation, if that is what God requires of you. In Christ, Helen Losse

Anonymous said...

Hi Jolene,

I will certainly be keeping you in my prayers. I know God definitely has His hand on your life. Jesus will see you through this. Keep trusting in Him, praying and looking to the Word of God and your church family in those times when the enemy would like to overwhelm you with fear.

Love in Christ,

Carol Connell

Sis. Sabrina said...

Sis my prayers are with you. I am from Pastor Pryor's church and keep up with your blog through Sis Allard and Sis Alice my dear friend tell your grandson we love her too!!!!
Know that you are on my mind and in my prayers
Sabrina

Jolene Harris said...

Beka, Thank you for your prayers. I assure you I will draw much strength from them. Yes, we can go through anything as long as we have the Lord on our side. I don't know how people in the world face difficulties like this without God. I know I wouldn't want too. I know as long as He is by my side I will be alright.

Jolene Harris said...

Hello Helen, Your prayers are greatly appreciated. I know what you mean about how we will never know why one person is healed and another is not. All I know is that God has His reasons and He is in control and knows what is best for all and that is good enough for me.

I do know that Paul had an affliction that he had ask God to take from him on several occasions and God told him no. In 2 Cor. 12:7-10 it reads -- "And because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given unto me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, in order to keep me from exalting myself. Concerning this I entreated the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And He has said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.' Most gladly, then, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Thus, I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong."

So this one thing I know for sure Helen, His grace is sufficient to see me through what ever road it is that I must travel on with this situation. So, again, your prayers for strength to endure is all that I need.

Thanks again and May God bless you

Jolene Harris said...

Hello Carol, It is good to hear from you. You have become very dear to me as one of my blogging buddies. I always look forward to reading your blogs and hearing from you.

Your prayers for strength to stay strong and not to become overwhelmed with fear is exactly what I need. I am flesh so this is a battle I know I must fight but it will be easier to fight with the army of God's children on my side (my brothers and sisters in the Lord)

Psalms 56:3 reads "What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee." That is what I must do, Trust in the Lord. All will be OK. After all am I not a child of the King?

Jolene Harris said...

Sis. Sabrina, Thank you for your prayers. I know that they will bring me much strength in the days to come. I know that with all the prayers that are going up on my behalf that this is what will help get me through it all. I will be victorious.

So you are a freind of Alice's. My grandson thinks she is the greatest blogger ever. As a matter of fact this mornig he ask if we could go to her house so he could see her pets and her spider. What a kid. You have a wonderful pastor and pastor's wife as well. I enjoy it when they come to preach for us.

Thanks again for your prayers.
God bless you and yours.

Anonymous said...

Sis. Jolene,

I just wanted to let you know that The Original United Pentecostal Church of Strathmore is holding you up in prayer. We come against this illness in the all powerful name of Jesus! He took his stripes for your healing and we claim it in his wonderful name.
God bless you and give you strength during this time,
Josh & Candace Tredway

Jolene Harris said...

Josh & Candace, Thank you and The Original United Pentecostal Church of Strathmore for your prayers. I am so overwhelmed right now but it is not with fear but with emotion from the love of God and the love I feel from my brothers and sisters in God. How can I not be strengthened with so much powerful prayer being sent to the throne of God on my behalf. Bro Josh, I have come to one conclusion, If God chooses not to heal my body, so be it, just as long as my spirit is healed and I stay strong in Him. That is all that matters for I must be saved.

Thank you and God bless you all

Anonymous said...

Jolene:
Oh how my heart and spirit were moved this afternoon as Virginia read your blog. Life has so many varied ways of getting from point “A” to point “B”. The saddest day in my life was the day I found Dana’s temple empty; she had gone home to play music for our God. I can relate very well to your comments about seeing and not hearing, standing in a haze. There was a long time, plese don’t ask me how long I was more like a cat in a cage than a human pacing and then pacing some more. Until dear Bro. Terry, “Boy sit down here you are making me nervous.” So I did, for once as I was told.
Yes, Jolene, your name will be called in prayer. Not just that our God would heal but for the peace of our God to touch you, not just you, but your families as well.

Oh, a grandmother, will Don’s oldest daughter made me great-grand-father of a wonderful little girl. Many memories too many for type. But God will take care of you. The song that Dana use to sing, “when He was on the cross I was on His mind.”

The best Jesus has for you and yours;

Mervin Clark

Jolene Harris said...

Mervin, How well I remember the day Dana went home to be with the Lord. Though we felt the loss of a loved one, the Lord received her into His arms. Such mixed emotions isn't it? Sadness in our hearts at her departing yet a rejoicing in our spirits for her journey to a better place. Sure do miss Bro Terry too, Don't you? He was such a dear friend to me. But one of these days we will all be together again and oh what a rejoicing that will be. But wait, then we get to behold the face of our Savior, Now that is going to be worth it all.

I appreciate the prayers that you and Virginia are sending up on my behalf for my family and me. You are right, I believe my family needs it just as much as I do. Living with an ill family member cannot be an easy task.

Congratulations on that new great- grand-daughter. What a blessing.

Linda Elms said...

Sis. Jolene, I will be in prayer for you and will have our church pray, also. There is NOTHING too hard for God and He is there with you! In Jesus Name be healed! That tumor MUST go! "....the people who do know their God will be strong, and do exploits." (Dan. 11:32) God bless you abundantly.

Jolene Harris said...

Sis Elms, Thank you and your church for your prayers. I will be encouraged by your faith in my moments of anxiety and will be able to overcome and regain my footing and stand steadfast again.

In my post I put the chorus to the song "I'm so glad I'm a part of the family of God". Well, I am finding out more and more just how big that family is and I am a part of it. When one of the members of this family is in need, then the rest of us will be right there to go before the throne of our Heavenly Father in prayer on their behalf. You know how awesome that makes the one in need feel? We understand at that point we are not alone. I am so blessed to belong to such a great and powerful family in Christ as this. Yes, I have been strengthened already.

May God bless every one of you.

Cheri said...

Sis Mendoza, I am praying for you, you are such a strong person, and God will strengthen you, and make you stronger, it is a great place to be when we are in need, with the family of GOD, and you are right when you say that when we are in need, that our "family" grows, God Bless, ♥ Cheri Bagato

Anonymous said...

Sis. Jolene, This chorus came to mind as I read your post: "The name of Jesus is higher than all names. Just name a sickness, or any problem. At the mention of that name they bow, they fall. The name of Jesus is higher than them all." I am praying for you! God will walk with you every step of the way!
www.iluv2prshim.wordpress.com
Ronda Hurst,(Pastor's Wife,Hollister, CA)

Jolene Harris said...

Cheri, Thank you for your prayers. That is one thing I feel we can never get to much of in this life.

I am only strong in the Lord for in myself I am weak. Habakkuk 3:19 reads; “The LORD God is my strength, and He has made my feet like hind’s feet, and makes me walk on my high places”.

Through your prayers and the prayers of others and the love of God and the strength that He empowers me with I WILL be made strong and will be able to carry on and I will not make this tumor my focus but my walk with God will be my focus in my life.

God bless you

Jolene Harris said...

Sis Hurst, What a beautiful song. It seems vaguely familiar but I don't remember the rest of it. But the few words you posted are very powerful. I will hang onto them.

I take comfort in knowing that you are sending up prayers on my behalf and assure you I appreciate it very much. The comments alone I have received from everyone has lifted my spirits more than I can say. This is a spot I can return to if need be to glean some strength in moments that I might feel a little anxiety coming on. I thank all of you for the prayers and strength you have sent my way.

God bless you all!!!

Rochelle said...

You are most certainly in my prayers. He is more than able. Thank you for your courage.

Rochelle

Jolene Harris said...

Rochelle, Thanks for your prayers. It is good to know that my God is more than able to take care of my needs.

Your comment about my courage reminds me of Joshua 1:9; "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee..." In myself I am weak and fearful but in God, well, my courage comes from Him.

Anonymous said...

Sister Jolene:

I know that God is able to heal this. Two of my good friends, Darlene and Becky both were diagnosed with aneurysms at different times. Darlene was a young mother at the time, and the doctor said she only had a small percent chance of surviving. Her church family prayed for her, and before they went in to do the surgery, they did one more MRI. The doctor came back into Darlene's room and told her the aneurysm was gone! She didn't have to have surgery. Same thing with my friend Becky about ten years later. She did not need surgery either! Our God is an awesome God! I am believing with you, dear Sister, that God is going to heal you completely! I will also have my church pray! Love, Karen

Jolene Harris said...

Sister Karen, What a great testimony and faith builder this is. We do serve an awesome God.

I was so relieved when I found out I was not having surgery (at least for now). I could just see them shaving my head - GOODNESS WHAT A SIGHT THAT WOULD BE!!! It made me think of Rochelle's blog on gray hair. I have some coming in around the front and a few strays here and there through out the scalp. You know, I will keep my gray hair thank you very much. No shaving my head today.

I do appreciate your prayers and know I will draw strength from them. Wouldn't it be great to go back in February to find the tumor completely gone? What a testimony that would be! But whatever the outcome is, this one thing I do know, Romans 8:28; "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." (KJV)

God bless you and your church

Anonymous said...

Hello Jolene. I came here from Sis. Allard's blog. I attend Sis. Hurst's (Ronda) church in Hollister. I just want you to know that I am praying for you, too. We don't know each other, but we are sisters, you know? In the Lord. :D

After reading this post, I went on to read some of your others and I enjoyed them very much. You have a very sweet spirit about you and I sense a lot of strength, too.

I can't imagine what you're going through. My Pastor talked about going through the fire tonight at "Wednesday Night Bible Study", which I love, too. :D He said, "No matter what happens to me, no matter what I go through or trials that come my way, I will STILL live for God! Nothing will cause me to be lost!" That's the feeling I get from you. You will make it, no matter what the future holds for you.

B.T.W., I believe God wants to and WILL heal you and HE will receive all the glory.

God bless you. Love and prayers, Tena from Hollister.

Jolene Harris said...

Tena, Thank you for stopping by. It is always a pleasure to meet another sister in the Lord. Let me assure that your prayers are greatly appreciated. I know I will be strengthened by them.

So you attend Sis Ronda Hurst's church. What an inspirational lady she is. I have been inspired by her postings many times. Blogging is such a wonderful way to be inspired and to inspire others don't you agree? You share in the laughter and the tears with our extended family in God all over the U.S. Then one day we will all get to meet on the wonderful streets of Heaven.

I agree with your Pastor. No matter what I go through and no matter what happens to me I will still serve God. This reminded of the scripture in the bible found in John 6:66-68; "From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away? Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life."

That's it right there Tena, He holds the words to eternal life and I must stay with Him for I must be saved no matter what. Yes, I want to be healed but more than that I must be saved.

God Bless you and do stop by again.

Yvonne said...

Just letting you know you're in my prayers. . . about 10 minutes after you called me and told me about the tumor I called our youth leader and she happened to be at the church so she put your name up on our prayer board in the womens prayer room. . .we have been praying for you everytime we come to church. . .God is a powerful force and I know he is capable of completely healing you. Love you so much

Yvonn

Jolene Harris said...

Hey Yvonne, Thanks for your prayers. I knew I could count on you. I am glad to hear you are feeling better. Your mom told me the good news yesterday. Praise God! Now you can get all four new tires. Isn't God good?

I will keep you posted as time goes on with all the updates with the MRIs and so forth. I love you too, very much. Miss you lots Keeps those grades up now OK?
Aunt Jolene